Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

How do you top off your nutrients?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:39 PM

Ummm, no. Didn't say anything about your plants. I was actually replying to the statement that you don't have to change every two weeks. I guess I should have quoted Stella. Oh well, doesn't change anything. Some of your plants DO exhibit signs of deficiency in your videos. The cukes and melons, for example. Take a look at the yellowing around the edges of the cuke leaves and on the new melon leaves you gave us a birds eye view of. They obviously had a deficiency in the video. Will the plants survive? Sure. Will they produce food? Obviously, there are cukes and melons. Will they produce as well when stressed? No. Will they taste their best or be as nutritious when stressed or missing certain elements? No.

I'm not saying your plants are crap or anything of the sort. They look fine. I'm not saying your system doesn't work. I'm saying it could work better. I'm also not saying I run perfect systems. However, I do know if I have a problem, what it is. And I know not only how to fix it, but how I caused it. Most often, it's from laziness.

Why the heck do you use software if you don't feel precision is important for optimum production? That doesn't make sense to me at all.

Quote:
If you are washing some hydro daily out and always adding the exact amount back in they have eaten there is a great chance that since they look perfect and taste terrific (cuke in hand as we speak eating, 18" long 1 3/4" around perfect flavor) that they are.
Like I said, it's not just what is missing, but what is left behind in the res. The imbalance left behind can affect the new nutrients added and a snowball effect can occur that will probably not show up until fruiting. Most people mistake such long term issues for something more immediate like root problems, disease, etc. They usually make a reservoir change and the problem corrects. However, the damage to the plant is done and the yield already suffered.

I've had tomatoes off of very stressed plants that look and taste terrific. I just wish I would have had the amount that I could have if I weren't being lazy. Last year, my ground garden cukes got quite stressed and suffered from deficiencies due to a new bed and the fact that I don't use synthetic nutrients on that garden. It was horribly obvious in the leaves. They produced some cukes, but not near what they should have. Most of those that it did produce looked just fine, though. Pretty much any gardener out there can verify this as most of us have had deficient plants at one time or another and gotten food from them, just not the amount we expected. So, your cuke doesn't indicate a super healthy plant. It indicates one that was simply healthy enough to produce a cuke. Not trying to get you riled up. Just stating the facts.