Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

11 bottle question

Old 07-29-2011, 02:45 PM

Default 11 bottle question

I have always liked the design of the 11 bottle system, I thought it was neat. I have been slowly building one with my 10 yr old grandson. our problem is how do we attach the bottlecaps to the thinwall pvc? regular pvc cement or what? thank you, Andre

Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM

I would test the PVC cement on the bottle cap to see if it has any advers reactions. There is no telling what plastic is being used to make the bottle caps. I would also be concerned with water leaking if it is a grooved cap.

Another option that would probably work is if you sand the inside of the PVC cap with some rough grit to get some nice grooving (parrallel to the edge of the pvc cap to have it serve as gripping) and then you can use a small amount of silicone. After it is allowed to fully cure there shouldnt be any funing to worry about. Just try to get some food grade silicone, and no kitchen/bathroom grade. That tends to have built in fungicides, that would not be very good for you or the plants.

That is just my thought on it. I haven't actually made those yet though I might try one to play around with later.

I hope my input was helpful, and I hope that someone who has made one of these either confirms or denies my input as useful. I am just trying to give you some where to start looking and thinking.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:07 PM

Hello Andre,
I'm not sure what bottles you are going to use, but one of the very first systems I ever built was very similar. I uses 2 liter bottles, and attached a 3/4 to 3/4 PVC coupler. That way I can just slip it on and off of the PVC tubing for easy maintenance. I did need to grind down the threads of the bottle a little to get it to fit inside the PVC coupler.

I attached the coupler to the 2 liter bottles using a 2 part epoxy glue (picture attached). However, I now have a hot glue gun, and would use that now instead. You can get a small hot glue gun at wal-mart for about $5, and $3-$5 for glue sticks ($10 or less total). Personally I wish I had thought of using hot glue years ago on most of my systems. Silicone is good for waterproofing when applied correctly. But it's simply not durable at all, and dosen't work when used for structural support.

P.S.
The bottles worked OK, however they are not very durable in the long run. Now I would use the 4 inch wide ASD irrigation tubing for durability sake. Cutting it in 10 inch or so sections (the height of the bottles), gluing a end cap on the bottom. Then use a PVC through hole/bulkhead fitting to connect it to the PVC tubing. The ASD tubing is also black on the inside, and white on the outside, so it dosen't need to be painted either. But the 2 liter bottles were free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epoxey.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1362   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9240.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1363   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9239.jpg
Views:	1053
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1364   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9238.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1365   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9234.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1366  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9236.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1367   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9041.jpg
Views:	1203
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1369  
Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM

Thank you for the hot glue update GPS. I will probably try that one the fittings I am having to work for the system I am making. I was considering silicone but hot glue will be cheaper and easier to work with. I will probably be posting pictures in the next week or so with my build.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Thank you Jamromhem and GPS, good points from both of you. I am building 3 systems at the same time right now. Just taking my time as I have grown hydroponics 20 years ago. Back then not much info on different systems (I had a box style flood and drain) washing machine pump and gray box timer. My wife says I am more into building systems than growing vegs. I don’t know she may be right. I am glad I found this site and thankful for all the info I have received/learned. Andre
Old 07-30-2011, 02:25 PM

I am happy to help where I can. I have my work ahead of me the next couple weeks myself :P I made the mistake of telling my kids I was starting some seeds before I even had the systems for them set up.

So I have to get my lettuce system set up in the next week so I can put the seedlings in it before it is too late. My kids are already threatening to eat it all, so I have to give them a chance to hold up on their end of the bargain.

So I have an NFT to set up infront of the 6ft window in the living room and some DWC for tomatoes to set up in the next window over. I hope it all comes in the mail before I need it lol. Without any hydroponic stores nearby I have to order it all online.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:19 PM

jamromhem
I thought you were building your own systems, rather than buying commercial hydro systems? The only things I buy from a hydro store are the nutrients, growing medium (some I get at nurseries), pH test drops and pH adjusters, and if I need them the 3 inch baskets. But everything else I need for building my systems I get from local stores like Lowe's, Home depot, ACE hardware, Wal-mart, Kmart, Big Lots, Hobby Lobby, Dollar store, Pet supply stores etc. etc. etc..
Old 07-30-2011, 10:38 PM

Those are just the things I got from there :P Some net pots, nutrients, PH up and down, PH tester, some growing medium. I also got a pretty decent deal on a 100gph pump. it was 10.99. Regretfully that has some of the things I need to actually do some growing lol.. I did go out and buy some things for a system today though. Just took a break from my build to post some pics here in a second.