Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

increase the levels of CO2

Old 01-31-2009, 07:20 AM

Default increase the levels of CO2

I have a small garden and a friend told me tha you can use baking soda to increase the levels of CO2. Does this sound right to you ? If so please explain.Beside from bying a CO2 regulater do you know of any other ways of increasing CO2 levels in limited space. Clay. tiona@tac.com.au

Old 01-31-2009, 07:21 AM

I have heard of using Dry Ice that gives off CO2 when it melts. 2 pounds of dry ice will raise the CO2 level in a 10 by 10 foot grow room to about 2000 ppm for 24 hours.
Fermentation's is another way to produce CO2. Use a plastic gallon milk jug and mix one cup of sugar and a packet of brewers yeast with about three quarts of warm water. This mix smells horrid but produces an initial burst of CO2. The mix is changed one to four times daily. Half of the solution is poured out, and then 1 1\2 quarts of water and another cup of sugar are added. If the yeast does not continue to grow during the fermentation process, add another packet of yeast. As long as the yeast continues to grow, the mix can be used indefinitely to generate CO2.
Another way to produce CO2 is to spend a lot of time heavy breathing in your room because your breath gives off CO2.
Ron