Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

tomatoes for the local markets.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:29 AM

Default tomatoes for the local markets.

Ron,

I am considering starting a small commercial greenhouse, growing tomatoes for the local markets. I am trying to do some planning, and want to get your expert opinion on what type of system would be best for commercial purposes. I am considering either a drip/flow system like your gallon bleach bottle setup, or a water culture system which uses square PVC tubes with net pots, and a spray line to infuse oxygen into the nutrient solution. (Similar to the AeroFlo by GH ) I have built both of these systems on a small scale (Both very cheap compared to buying them) but haven't done large scale testing on either. There are pro's and cons for each I'm sure. I'd just like to hear your opinion on them. Thanks. PS I live in the Atlanta GA area, so year-round growing is pretty feasible.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:31 AM

The gallon drip is a good commercial retrieval system to build and maintain for tomatoes and the perlite bag system is another widely used commercial system where the solution is not reused. Tomatoes can also be grown in large rockwool slabs but can get expensive on a large scale.
Water culture and aeroponic growing are mostly use in growing plants like bib lettuce and basil type plants.