Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Best way to heat a small room?

Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 AM

Default Best way to heat a small room?

I've got a small box 4x4x6 made of 1/2inch insulation board during the day with the lights on (led's and some cfl's) the heats not to bad (68-70) but at might it drops too 55-58.

*The small potted plants seem to be doing fine but the 2x2.5gal DWC tomatoes aren't doing to good.

Any idea's on how to heat it?

I'm thinking of getting this heat mat Amazon.com: Milliard Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Pad 21"x8": Patio, Lawn & Garden but wana see what others think before I order.

Smaller: version Amazon.com: Milliard Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Pad 24"x5": Patio, Lawn & Garden
Larger version: Amazon.com: Milliard Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Pad 20"x20": Patio, Lawn & Garden

I've added a 60w incandescent light blub for added heat during the day but at light it doesn't help.

Last edited by TimeWasteing; 01-03-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 AM

What is the nute water temp?

If you're starting your day with 55 degree water, that isnt going to help the tomatoes... So, if you put that mat under the reservoir it will be a big help.

Other option is an aquarium heater.. Most are hard set to 76f though, which might be too warm for the water.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:58 PM

Nute tempters low I could say 55 at night maybe 60-65 day.

I found a human heat pad (53w) just plugged it in I'll let you know if it raises the air temperature. I didn't want to put it under the hydro so it's off to the side.

The aquarium heater might work but I was hoping to heat 1 or 2 of the smaller potted plants aswell.

Last edited by TimeWasteing; 01-04-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:40 AM

Heating pads might do the job in that small of a space. You don't want the water temp to get much above 70 degrees, but the air temp for the tomato's should be in the upper 80's. I might also suggest using a small room oil filled radiant heater like this: Electric Oil-Filled Radiant Portable Heater. However with a space that small it might be hard not to over heat the space. But they do make some with a digital thermostat built in, though those are more expensive. Also you can always try and increase the air ventilation to compensate by bring in cool air, and another possibility is setting the heater on low and using a timer to turn it on and off. You can also use a heat lamp, but it will over heat the space as well unless you regulate it's on/off times. Also with a heat lamp you would need to be very careful in where you put and how you set it up, or you could cause a fire.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:05 AM

I'd rather not have a heater like that. It's a small space and I'd fear something catching fire.

The human heat pad got the air temp from 55 to 57 in 5 hours.

It's 7+ years old and has had some use so I think a new one made for plants would do better.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:50 PM

I used 1 of these 2 years ago during the winter months.

Sunbeam Ceramic Heater: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com

I had it hooked up to a timer it would go on when the grow lights turned off. It kept the grow area warm at the same temp as when the lights were on. If I hadn't used it my plants would've died from the drastic temp drop.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:42 PM

Found a larger version 105w Amazon.com: Milliard Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Pad 48"x20": Patio, Lawn & Garden

The 53w raised the air 3~ degrees I think a 105w should do 5 to 7 degrees (60-63 at night 70-75 day).

/ordered the 105w if it doesn't work I'm sure I'll use it for something else.

Last edited by TimeWasteing; 01-04-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM

Update in case anyone was wondering.

With heat pad at night 66-68
With heat pad at day 75-77 with a small fan on probably 77-80 without the fan.

hydroponic buckets are half way on the pad with air pumps out side (cooler air) water's 68-71.

Last edited by TimeWasteing; 01-16-2014 at 03:39 AM.