Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Struggling with my bell peppers

Old 05-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Thumbs down Struggling with my bell peppers

Hey, I'm new to this forum so thanks for having me.

I'm having some trouble getting my bell peppers started in my DWC system and wondered if any of you could offer some advice. I've never grown peppers before but as I understand it, they're supposed to be great for DWC systems. I had great success with tomatoes last year and have branched out this year with cucumbers and with any luck peppers as well.

The problem I'm having is that the pepper plants are just not taking as I would have expected. To save myself the time, I've bought some established seedlings (about 4 inches high), washed off all the soil and transplanted them into the system. Whilst they are not dying straight away, they are not exactly growing either. Roots are not taking - they're just existing.

I've done everything by the book. nutrients are right, ph is right, water levels are right, no soil is left in the roots, light is right (outdoors), oxygen is right. Is there anything I've missed?

thanks

Old 05-22-2014, 08:12 PM

How long has it been? And do you have any pictures?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:51 AM

It's been about a week and a half now. Whilst I appreciate this is not a long time, comparing the pepper to the cucumber and tomato I put in at the same time, it's not doing great. This is also my third attempt at peppers this year.

I'll take some snaps later when I'm back home.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 AM

Any pictures or updates yet??
Old 05-25-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Any pictures or updates yet??
Hey, managed to drop my phone. Pictures might be a bit more difficult than expected. However, I can describe it.

The plant is about the size of an adult hand, and has remained green since I put it in about 2 weeks ago. It's even managed to bud a couple of flowers. I guess that means it's drawing from the nutrients but growth seems minimal and there have been no root shoots developing in the 2 weeks. In comparison, my tomato is going nuts, both above and below the water line. Same with my cucumber. I've pinched off the buds to encourage some growth but it just seems to be existing.

Nutrients, ph, position etc have all remained consistent and I believe are correct.

Thanks