Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Tomatoes with black bottoms

Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 PM

Default Tomatoes with black bottoms

Anyone ever had this problem? I am using GH Maxi series dry nutes... I read elseware on this forum that I might need more calcium????

Old 04-17-2011, 03:24 AM

Tomatoes with black bottoms sounds like blossom end rot, and calcium uptake is a factor. I haven't used the the maxi series nuts, but for continuously flowering plants like tomato you should be using the maxi bloom nuts, otherwise they may not be getting the right mix of elements. Contact general hydroponics at tech@genhydro.com for the best clarification on using their nutrients.

But at the same time calcium uptake is related to environmental conditions as well, not just the amount of available calcium in the nutrient solution. You can have plenty of calcium in the solution, but environmental conditions can affect weather the plant absorbs them or not (and evenly). Especially those that affect transpiration, that's what supplies the water (and the calcium in it) to the plant, and developing fruit. Such as low humidity (or high), drying winds, uneven watering to the roots etc.. In witch case adding more calcium to the nutrient solution won't help.

Here are a few links about blossom end rot
Blossom End Rot of Tomato (scroll down)
Blossom-End Rot of Tomato, Pepper, and Eggplant
BLOSSOM-END ROT ON TOMATO
RPD No. 906 - Blossom-End Rot of Tomato
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM

In hydro its also variety dependent. For example I've never been able to get Romas to grow in hydro without at least a few fruits having blossom end rot, but have had great success with other varieties. Often times the first truss will experience a problem but then the rest will come out fine. I've found that trying to drive more transpiration in combination with a CalMag foliar spray before the first truss starts to set fruit can help.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 PM

Epsom salts worked for me. Dissolve 1 tablespoon of epsom salts in one gallon of water and add this solution to the spray bottle. After the plants begin flowering, generously spray them with the solution. Or take a look at this info.

Read more: How to Use Epsom Salts for Tomato Black Rot | eHow.com How to Use Epsom Salts for Tomato Black Rot | eHow.com