Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

cooling my system

Old 02-05-2009, 01:51 AM

Default cooling my system

Sorry about making you repeat the answer to the last question. I used your search engine and found another person's post that answered it. Anyway, I was thinking about cooling my system, considering if I live in Alabama and summer temperatures frequently are in the high nineties. I've been using a rotation of 3 4-pound frozen athletic injury packs by dumping them in my reservoir, with marginal success. It's a real pain in the ass to change them every 8 hours, however.

1.Would putting a cooling device somewhere in the system create an "auora of coolness" around the unit sufficient to make growing more hospitable? 2.Do you know of any inexpensive systems? I was on some site, and the cheapest cooler was about $800. 3.If there are any inexpensive systems, where would you suggest it be placed. Would you put it in the reservoir or somewhere in the PVC pipe (if it would fit) and only turn it on when you pump. 4.Do you like Big Macs or Whoppers better? Thanks

-Richard

Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 AM

The cheapest chiller in my supply catalog is also 800 bucks. A fellow grower friend of mine made one out of an old refrigerator. Another way is to build a small well insulated shed for your water reservoir and put the smallest air conditioner in it to cool it down to what ever temperature you wanted. Good place to store your growing chemical too.
Whoppers