Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Root Crops

Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM

Default Root Crops

Hi everyone, I see very little on the growing of root crops but do see from time to time in magazines pictures of folks growing root crops Hydroponically. Do you know of any good resources I can look at on how and what to use to grow things like onions, carrots, beets,? I wonder if it would be coast effective. Your comments Please/Thanks.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:08 PM

Hello simon,
I can't remember running across anything specific on growing hydroponic root crops in general. However I might be able to find something on a specific crop/s. I don't have time right now so I will try to look later. But for now as far as what to grow it in. My understanding is that root crops do best in growing medium like sand, or sand and vermiculite/perlite mix, and using a drip system. Though I have seen that flood and drain systems can work also, but be careful with the water level not getting too high, or you could wind up with having a liquefaction problem. That is if the water level is to to high it can make the sand/mixture unstable for the plants and they can fall over. Personally I would go with a drip system for root crops (I haven't grown any yet). Much easier in design, control, and allowing the water to filter down without the sand going with it.

P.S. Just make sure you wash and sanitize the sand first. Also I have seen that coco coir has been used as well, but I think it's to light and can be a problem with odd shaped veggies, though still editable.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:26 AM

Hello simon,
I just saw the album you posted from Epcot. I just wanted to say GREAT pics, thanks for sharing them.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Administrator

great pictures, I like the Spiral nutrient Film Technique...