Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

rise or lower the Ph

Old 01-31-2009, 03:45 AM

Default rise or lower the Ph

Amigo Ron:
I just started with my 25, two-liter-bottle garden and I had a hell of a time trying to come up with the right amount of fertilizer and so on. My system works with a sumergable pump (2100 lt/hr) and the reservoir has an 80 lt capacity and I'm using triple 14 as fertilizer and 80 cc of folial fertilizer, too. The Ph level was too high and I used hydrogen peroxide (9% v) to make it go down to about 6.8.
What I would like to know, besides the rigth proportions of fertilizer, is what products can I use to rise or lower the Ph without ruinnig the plants and ,of course, the fertilizer mixture? Can I use the same products people use to adjust the Ph in swimming pools? If so, I will appreciate a list of what i can and cannot used and the amounts in grams, please.
Thank you and best regards
Saludos
Julian Pena D Venezuela

Old 01-31-2009, 03:46 AM

Hello Saludos
Here is what it says in my book Hydroponic Home Food Gardens by Howard M. Rush about pH adjustment:

The pH of the nutrient solution can be raised ( made more basic ) by use of potassium hydroxide (KOH), sodium hydroxide (NaOH), or bicarbonate of soda (NaHCO3). The latter is safest to use; the first two burn the skin.

Great caution must be observed, and goggles and rubber gloves must be worn when using the hydroxides (the first two compounds mentioned above). Carefully observe all of the cautions suggested by the manufacturer. The addition of small amounts (several grams) will quickly shift the pH of the nutrient solution toward basic.

A basic solution is lowered ( made more acidic ) by addition of sulfuric acid (H2SO4)-battery acid; nitric acid (HNO3); hydrochloric acid (HC1)-muriatic acid, sometimes used to treat swimming pools; or acetic acid, such as vinegar.

The best acid to use, from the standpoint of simple effectiveness, is sulfuric acid, but it is especially corrosive and-as with nitric acid and hydrochloric acid-burns the skin. So again, rubber gloves and goggles must be worn to prevent injury to hands and eyes.

After reading that, hydroponics don't seem like so much fun any more does it. That is why I pay 30 dollars a gallon for pH up and down from a hydroponic grow store. I don't know what they use but you don't have to wear gloves and goggles.
Ron