Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

2012 window garden

Old 02-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default 2012 window garden

Started a few seeds today for a south facing window garden. Been researching online and there are two different systems that I like. One is just a floating raft bubbler in a window planter. The other one is a version of the windowfarms bottle garden. Might try both gonna start with some herbs (new for me) and some spinage. Started the seeds in a paper towel tube cut into inch and half sections filled with pollyfill. Forgot how tiny those damm seeds are!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

So none of the seeds have sprouted in the pollyfill. May be that it's too cold or not moist enough, IDK. Gonna start some more in some paper towels with a little heat.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 AM

Is that Polyfill similar to the Sure to Grow cubes?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Pollyfill is the fluffy stuff that goes in pillows or stuffed animals. Saw a post about it either here or on another site about starting seeds in it in place of other seeding mediums. Sounded good, but I didn't get it to work. I am going to try it again when it gets warmer.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 PM

Most seeds don't like to sprout unless the temp is about 80 degrees F. Though spinach I understand likes it much cooler, and will even sprout in the refrigerator. Though it can be hard to get spinach seeds to sprout at all, most people I've herd try get a very low germination rate if they sprout at all. I have tried both at warm temps, and cool temps, but never got any seeds to sprout. However I think the seeds were from a old pack.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Started some more seeds today! I found a window sill starter kit that came with a dome. I started the seeds in some perlite in the south facing window. Gets the most heat in the house thru that window so i'm gonna try it without the heat mat. There has been sun for the last 2 days and the weather looks like its gonna be clear for the next few also. That should keep them warm enough to sprout. Crossing my fingers