Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Hydro Club Meeting

Old 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default Hydro Club Meeting

The first club meeting is this Wednesday! A little excited and a little nervous. I know there will people there, just not how many. I plan to just give out handouts and talk about getting started 101 stuff. Niki from the hydro store will also be there to talk about nutrients and pH and to answer the tough questions.

Any other suggestions?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 AM

Sounds like a great start. You probably have already considered these, but I would use the first meting as a jumping off point. Along with the information I would create a sign in sheet for people who want to become members. Get their contact info like phone numbers and e-mail addresses. That way you can keep them updated on club functions/meetings/newsletters etc., as well as be able to have a general head count for future meetings. Second, try and find out what days would be good for everyone to meet, and try and set up a regular meting time. Something like once every two weeks or so. Third, I would try and get an understanding on how much the group knows about the subject, and if anyone has ever tried growing hydroponically yet. I would try and get a discussion going, get people to talk about their concerns, experiences growing hydroponically (if any), their basic understanding on the subject, find out what they would like to cover etc.. Then use that to guide future meetings. In the future even have guest speakers, as well as kind of a show and tell for those that want to elaborate on what their doing.

P.S.
As for the 101 stuff, your probably already planing to, but I would probably first start by explaining the difference between the 6 different types of hydroponic systems. Simply because it's important to understand that first.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Thanks for the imput, I will utilize all
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 PM

As mentioned above, have a sign in sheet. If you can print up some sheets with basic questions such as:

Which day of the week would be best for meetings
What time would be best
Would you like the meeting to last 1 or 2 hours
Would anyone be willing to help during meetings
What they would like to get out of a monthly meeting
Name
Address
Email Address

From now through the winter months you could concentrate on how members could build different types of systems. Also if they want to buy a system you can help them out. Also during winter months members can learn about lighting for indoor systems. Also how to start germinating seeds for vegetables or flowers. How to fertilize the water. How to check the PH and PPM in the water and how to make corrections using PH up or down and raising PPM.

Theirs a whole list of things you can do. At each meeting you should just stick to a certain topic as the members will want to come back to learn more.

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Well the first meeting went great! Had about a dozen people there and a few more came in from the main library to sign up but couldn't stay for the meeting. I have set the next date for about a month away and am excited for the next one. My hydro zuchinni cake was awesome!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 AM

our next meeting is scheduled for October 17 and we will be going over the system types because we ran out of time. I've asked everyone to bring pictures of their systems or of one they would like to build (or the plans).
Old 09-22-2012, 05:22 AM

Glad the meeting went great. How many of them have hydroponic systems, or have grown hydroponically before? What did you guys talk about? Did the people have a lot of questions? Were they getting involved/participating in the discussions? What were their overall concerns, learning something new, cost/money, how to build a hydroponic system, growing a healthy crop, etc.? How many do you expect at the next meeting? Must of had a lot of good stuff to talk about if you ran out of time.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 09-22-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM

Only 2 have existing hydro systems and seem to be doing well. The others are just starting, trying to figure out what system will work best for them. We will be going over the 6 types and all the pro's and con's of each on the next meeting. I think a few were farmers and are looking for a better way to garden in their golden years.

They mostly had questions about the upkeep, nutrients and pH but I expect more since they know a little bit more and should be slightly more comfortable with the surroundings now.

Here is a pict of me doing my thing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hydro 004.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2394  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 AM

Default Back from a break

Hello all, back from an extended break with the house re-fi and the holidays. Plan to start the meetings back up in February. Hopefully I will get my greenhouse at long last!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM

If it is not at the library on Union street in Kennewick, it will be a field trip to a local hydroponics store. I have to wait till they move and then I will set it up. It will be in the Vista Way area in Kennewick WA. You can check my facebook page or website for more updated info.

Thanks for asking,
Tracy