Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

help nutrient recipe for tomatoes?

Old 12-22-2010, 02:21 AM

Default help nutrient recipe for tomatoes?

can anyone help me make a nutrient solution for tomatoes?

these are the available salts i found in the market

calcium nitrate,potassium nitrate,sulfate of potash,mono potassium phosphate,magnesium sulfate,iron,manganese,zinc,copper.....

but it doesn't have to use those salts in particular

Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 AM

Hello mikkel753951,
Unfortunately I don't personal have any recipes for tomatoes, and I've not gotten around to even making my own nutrients yet. But I have some links that will point you in the right direction including a tomato nutrient solution formula. The blog is written by a chemist and hydroponic grower. And there is even a free nutrient calculator available to download. The last link (the tomato recipe) is from The University of Arizona.

Science In Hydroponics (homepage)
Hydroponic Tomato Formulations – Nutrients for Every Growth Stage | Science in Hydroponics
The First Free Hydroponic Nutrient calculator
HydroBuddy’s Online Hydroponic Formulation Database | Science in Hydroponics

Scroll down the page a little in this link and there is a Nutrient Solution Recipe for tomato's.

Growing Tomato's Hydroponically

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 12-22-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:34 AM

hey GpsFrontier thank you very much for the links they really helped but i have a question would there be any major difference if i used a sulphate instead of a chelate in a microformula?zinc sulphate instead of zinc chelate for exampe?
Old 12-22-2010, 05:40 AM

Hello mikkel753951,
Like I mentioned I don't have any experience with making my own nutrients, so I honestly cant tell you. But I believe you can leave a comment for Daniel on the blog. But if you explain your question and give them the recipe you plan to use (I assume it's the one from University of Arizona), and e-mail it to them directly, I think they would be able to answer that for you. Here are some links to their Agriculture and Life Sciences departments.

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
(homepage)
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
(departments)
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (deans office, e-mail address at the bottom of the page) I'm sure he can at least forward your question to the right person.
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (contact information) There is another e-mail address as well as phone and fax numbers.
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (Locations and Contacts for Agricultural Research Centers)
student information for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (another promising e-mail phone and fax)

Anyhow I'm sorry all I can give you is links to sources of information rather than an answer. But I'm sure if you copy and paste the same question to all the e-mail addresses, even possibly fax or phone (long distance charges permitting), I'm sure someone will be able to answer the question for you, and/or at least forward it to the right person. Especially considering the recipe was developed by them (assuming that's what you plan to use).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 12-22-2010 at 05:44 AM.