Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

ph problems, filmy water, green mold

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2010, 04:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dlove
Default ph problems, filmy water, green mold

Hi, this is my first post and my first attempt at hydroponics. I built the 11 plant system and started it up a week or so ago. I am having a terrible time maintaining my ph (which goes up every day) and two of my rockwool cubes have a something green growing on the top (should i throw these away?). Today when i checked the water there was all this filmy crap which showed on the outside of my ph testing vial. I'm wondering if this is a result of the white vinegar i've been adding everyday to lower my ph or if its a result of the green stuff growing on my two rockwool cubes. The next time I change the solution/water I'm planning on buying distilled water from the supermarket. I am using hydroton, which I rinsed/cleaned with tap water a few times. I see some others used a bleach solution, is my hydroton throwing off my ph? Any ideas, any help will be greatly appreciated, thank - dashiell