Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Question About reservoir temperature

Old 12-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Default Question About reservoir temperature

Hello Say I Hear Temperature of the water is very important so I been looking round for and hydroponic water Thermometer no lock so I brought this and wondering if it will work ? Brinkmann Digital Thermometer with stainless-steel probe Measures Fahrenheit or Celsius with hold function I got it at home depot for $10 bucks I Just Need To Know If This Okay Or if I need to find something else thank you
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brinkmann Digital Thermometer with stainless-steel probe.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	2757

Old 12-31-2014, 03:22 PM

Default thermometer

it will work, but it will not address the problem of adjusting the temp of the water. I have a water heater (fish tank) that heats the water to 70. In the summer I have a water chiller to start cooling the water when it reaches 74, and it has a built in thermometer in the unit that is displayed.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:11 PM

Default right

Any Fish Tank section (even Walmart) would have good drop in thermometers for 3-10$. Finewood, I was interested in temperature control as well and had a spare 1/3 HP Chiller laying around lol. My problem is I have multiple reserviors so I built a heat exchange out of thin-walled plastic irrigation line forming coils and running through each chamber via bulkheads. The jury's still out...

FYI: I would suspect going as far as adding chillers is a less common but preferable thing.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 PM

Default chillers

Or you connect all the reservoirs using large diameter hoses and in the last one you pump the water to the chiller that deposits the water in the first reservoir.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:47 PM

Okay 1st that's kool I can use that to monitor temp, winter time be more of issue here for me I was thinking on insulating my black hydroponic buckets summertime here in Cleveland ohio usually don't get hot my main problem is the humidity woke up this morning my humidity was 16%.. see im trying to make sure I have best possible environment before I start my seeds
Old 12-31-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finewoodstudio View Post
Or you connect all the reservoirs using large diameter hoses...
I keep my reservoirs at different ppm's. I'll post my set up on here soon.

Bigdaddy, I don't know what you mean with the humidity. I'm beginning too, but as far as I know everybody starts their seeds in some sort of contained plastic tray- with a clear top to let in light (a lot of plants need light to trigger germination)

I even started some Cilantro recently in a zip lock bag in rockwool cubes. Anything that holds in the humidity creates a fog type deal- tuppawear, taco bell salad bowl container, etc. Also I started all mine indoors where it's warm (70's).
Old 12-31-2014, 09:40 PM

what I mean is I started hydroponics back in February 2014 and I had a lot of issues improper humidity and lighting and feeding it was so bad I got mold and fungus so right now im gathering information so I wont screw up again