Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

hydroponic aquaponic fowl House Construction

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2010, 01:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to watercatwn6535nd
Default hydroponic aquaponic fowl House Construction

well its been a while since i was on here. I need to post some pictures i know and will this weekend at the latest. The green house floor is in now and it covers the hydronic floor heating. I installed 20 yards of crushed gravel over the pex tubing which is 300ft long. Since i am making my own steel pipe 1.5" green house i have been dragging on the pipes them selves but i have all the uprights now made and will begin the trusses next week i hope. I'm getting very excited seeing it take place or shape.

I have not started on the fish tank size because i keep finding better info and talking to people that have completely different systems that all work well. I ran into issue with miss reading 1 cubic ft of water for 1 gallon of water so i had to change my tank sizes on my plans then i ran into a you tube video of a guy using and doing well with the calculation for fish density wrong like i had done but he was having excellent luck SO! I'm going to go with what ever tanks fit the best and give me room to work around and I'll be fine.

here are a couple links for any interested in fish for plant food and or eating.
Tilapia Farming at Home
and another guy selling fish as well on ebay Live Blue Tilapia for Algae control and Aquaponics - eBay (item 150368185614 end time Aug-19-10 14:28:27 PDT) plus you can do clams, craw fish etc pump-filter-/190392002788?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c543f68e4" target="_blank">12 LIVE FRESHWATER CLAMS ~ uv pond supplies pump filter - eBay (item 190392002788 end time Aug-23-10 19:07:38 PDT)

Right now i am looking at at least 12 250 gallon tanks which i think i will build or find those pallet liquid containers cant think of what there called i used them for my veggie oil car. Takes about 8.5 months to bring a tilipia to a kilo or 2.2lbs. so i figure one tank for every month of the grow cycle and one tank for babies and one tank for my breeder males and one for the females or a nurse tank for what ever reason.

So depending on who you listen to you can grow 2lbs of fish per gallon of water and they do very well. or you can grow 2 lbs in one cubic foot of water which i think is about 7.5 gallons. which they do very well as well. i'm not one to go on chance much and would rather have some systems in place to make sure my little fish friends are comfy before i gut them and eat them. so for water cleaning i am going with a skippy filter Building A Bio-Logical Filter as well as my plants in my two green houses. but i do think i may be able to overwhelm the system ( i dont see any one else doing that but i think i may be possible with two much fish shit? so i have drawn up a design using washing machine parts to build a low speed centrifuge based on the simple centrifuge. going on the idea that at 2000 rpm 4 inchs from the center of the rotating mass each gram is worth about 1lb of weight or so. I figure since my needs are not to terribly demanding i would go with a bigger bowl and slow it down a bit and still create a great way to isolate heavy or solids from my water system at the same time it will be a great filter for everything not totally dissolved.

My thinking here was i could if need be remove waist mechanically if need be and i could also put it back in the system as a tea and the fish wouldn't be any the wiser. plus it will make great compost right out of the centrifuge.

My plan is to sell fish meat next year some time to off set the cost of my growing system or to completely fund it if i can. I may be able to produce as much as 125lbs of meat per month. plus the new green house will do lots of veggies and fruits since there are only 4 of us to feed. not to mention the chickens.

By the way monday we get our tubers and seeds for the green room and it will now be only flowers used by florists ( long stem and such) in a couple months the house is going to smell amazing.

one last thing our out door dirt growing is excellent this summer but i have to say we planted tomatoes as a test inside and out at the same time and the indoor is twice as big and fruited 1 week early. and that's just with my lame 32watt 4 ft florescence. its going to take a lot to get me to ever use any thing but these cheap dollar light bulbs from lowes. I think you will all be surprised how cheap you can grow indoors with these all winter and have great time.

pictures to come
plus i have a home made nutrient injector i have built for my growtronix i will share as soon as i get a chance to test it for a few runs.