Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

problem with Flow

Old 04-26-2019, 08:01 AM

Default problem with Flow

Hi everybody!!

I am a newbie, have done a little bit with DWC but was looking to possibly expand my garden to an ebb and flow system, bunch of lettuce, spinach, peppers, etc. My question is I have seen most ebb and flow systems with either the table filled with hydroton and rockwool directly in that media or larger net pots filled with media sitting directly on the table. What I was thinking of doing was getting a covered/lidded tray, and using much 2" net pots suspended via holes in the lid. No media underneath, just table. To me this makes a lot of sense, it allows the roots to have plenty of air, because it's covered, there should be plenty of moisture retained as humidity. My flood cycles would actually be fairly often as well, since there won't be any medium. It almost strikes me as a hybrid between nutrient film and a flood and drain. My question is, will this work? Is there a reason I haven't seen this done much? Thanks In advance all.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 PM

I don't understand exactly what you are saying. Are you trying to build something like a aeroponic cloner like this?

If yes you will need rockwool in the small net pot then you would need to put hydroton to top off the net pot. The reason for hydroton is to prevent algae buildup from the lights or if growing outdoors the sun. With spinach and lettuce you can grow them to full size in a very large aeroponic cloner. With peppers you would need 2 totes on top of each other. The bottom would hold the nutrients the top would hold the roots and sprayers. Here's a pic of some pepper plant roots in an aeroponic tote.

And some roots can get really long.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:29 AM

Thank you very much for the very detailed help!
Old 06-30-2019, 01:50 PM

If you are going with the aeroponic setup and you plan on growing lettuce or peppers the full cycle from germination, growth, reproduction, pollination, and seed spreading stages you will need to spread the plants further apart compared to the picture I posted earlier. With lettuce like romaine you could get away with growing in every 2 inch net pot but butterhead or lceberg type lettuce would have to be grown in every other net pot as they are wider. Same goes for pepper plants they need more room so every other net pot you could get away with.