Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

liquid type organics

Old 01-31-2009, 03:51 AM

Default liquid type organics

Hey Ron what happend to the BBS?? Oh well, this is still one of the better sites anyhow.

Ok, this may sound stainge but I've only used liquid type organics in any setup I've playd with. I'll mix the nutes let them sit for about a day to let things get going(organisms to start breaking down material) and then use. I change the salution about once a week checking the ph and adjusting daily. So far so good but I've been talked into trying the General Hydro formula as the main fertilizer and just suplimenting with organics. I know that this is the type of ferts to be using to begin with but my roots came from the ground (heheheh). Any comments??????

Also, I will be messing with a small aero unit (the main reason for the GH nutes) and it was sudjested that I get a TDS meter to messure the ppm (strength)of the solution for this type of setup and so that I'm not throwing away good mixture and I am told that aero is tuchy ect. ect. watever. I'm a DIY type of guy, everything is homemade mainly for money reasons and I don't know if I can/want to afford 60-100+ for such an instrament. Is there a cheaper way?? Do they work the same as a multy test meter(ohms)?? Any comments are greatly apritiated.

Play it All That Jazz

Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 AM

Sorry about the BBS. It malfunctioned as computers some times do. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any questions.

When I tried organics (bat shit) I had a hard time measuring PPM even with a TDS meter until I read that it is normal to get a false reading when using organics.
Sorry but their is just no cheap way around not using a TDS meter.
pH you can use cheap test tape for a reading but for PPM the only way to measure is by adding one gallon at a time to what it says on the bottle to add to give you a correct PPM. Usually 1/2 to 1 1/2 teaspoon of nutrient solution per gallon of water, depending on the age of your plants.
A multi-test meter won't work because it relies on an outside electrical source to get a reading and a TDS meter has it's own battery to send an electric current across it's electrodes to measure parts per million in your solution.
Haven't tried areoponics yet but is on my list of things to try.
Ron