Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

PH Down ??

Old 08-20-2011, 12:27 AM

Default PH Down ??

I was looking up stuff to use for a PH Down. And i ran across Battery Acid like you put in a car battery. Has anyone used this? Seems cheaper and most auto part stores carry it. Locally i can get a 5gal jug of it for $24.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:58 AM

I need to try and remember where I saw that list (2 or 3 products) of alternative pH adjusters in order to post it. But my opinion is most all household products wont provide a stable pH. That is, they will fluctuate quickly after being adjusted. The question is valid (I've asked it myself), and there may be people who can give better advice based on their experiences with using it (I haven't). When I first started growing hydroponically I was always (still do) looking for cheaper alternatives (especially because I often need to have things shipped). But one of the things that I don't feel necessary to find is a cheaper alternative for is pH adjusters.

It would be good to know if a supply got hung up in mid grow (and I had no choice). But other than that I don't see a need. I can get a 1-2 year supply for about $10-$12 (plus shipping). I'm cheep, but I can easily work with that. And now that we have a hydroponic supply store in town, I don't even need to pay for shipping. Keep in mind that just changing pH isn't the only factor involved either. Depending on what's used, the nutrient availability and/or amount of elements can be affected too (especially if you need to reapply it regularly). Also by adding something to the nutrient solution, you change (raise) the EC/TDS/PPM each time. But that wont mean you have a balanced mix, just that a certain amount of minerals (regardless of what they are) are conducting electricity in your water (that's how all meters read nutrient/mineral level regardless of how they convert/display it). The more you add, the more it will conduct (thus the higher reading you get). But that dosen't mean you have a good nutrient mix. To test that theory, just pour a bunch of baking soda into plain water until you reach the desired reading. Then see if then plants grow.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 08-20-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 AM

I have been testing sulphuric acid (battery acid I baught at the auto store) for about 2 weeks now. My seedlings are taking off while using it and the nutrient solution I am using for them is PH stable and clean while sitting stagnant in a spray bottle.

I haven't had any problems with my sulfuric acid from the battery acid. Just remember to get clean fresh acid and not used from a battery lol... That being said there are some other sources. Some "professional" strength clog drainers are actually a strong acid in a bottle.. I have seen some in ace hardware and similar places and they tend to be in a bottle wrapped in a plastic bag. I would do some research on the brand that is available to you if you choose this route. they tend to be less clean than battery acid depending on the company that makes them.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 AM

The reason i got to looking it up, is mainly i dont have a hydroponic store locally and my order of PH Down appears to be running late (haven't gotten an email back as to why) and i'm about down to my last couple of scoops of PH Down.

So i just got to looking mainly as a bandaid till i get my shipment.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM

That is a similar reason I was looking at it. The only hydroponics around here is the virtigrow office and they have very little as far as the accesories.

The package of battery acid will make me about 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of PH down and with only using about 10ML for 4 gallons of tap water (this will drop as I up my nutrient strength) it will last me a long time. Not to mention it is the same cost as a thing of PH down anyway lol

It is also the route I went because it doesnt react with the other choices I made for the system. I wanted to use bleach as my sterilizer due to the low cost and high availability of it. I was going through a lot of H2O2 trying to fight that infection and having owned a pool I am more confident in my ability to manage chlorine levels.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:30 PM

Just learned that White Vinegar seem's to do a pretty decent job at being a PH Down.

Again just looking for a bandaid till i get my bag of PH Down here.