Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

testers

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Default testers

what is the best budget minded e/c,ppm.ds tester that you have used.thanks

Old 03-27-2010, 09:19 AM

I use this one, it seems to work great.

Milwaukee Instruments
Old 03-28-2010, 01:01 AM

I wouldn't ever buy any combi-instrument. Because EC-meters are robust and last many years, while PH-meters are sensitive need good care (actually the probe gets screwed up easily) and generally lasts only 1-2 years.

Do not buy any "TDS-meter", but an EC-meter instead. Actually everybody should go for EC and mS/cm instead of multiple ppm conversion rates, that in fact aren't actual PPM at all- and often lead to misconception of ppm, confusion and error!

Both instruments exist in resolutions of 1 or 2 decimals, as in .0 and .00. Lower resolution 0.1 is OK (and cheaper) to actually measure nutrient solution and PH accurately enough, but to really monitor daily changes, one decimal isn't good enough. Just because daily changes mostly happen in ranges of as little as 2 decimals. Hence with a low resolution instrument, daily variations/changes can't even be detected.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luches View Post
I wouldn't ever buy any combi-instrument. Because EC-meters are robust and last many years, while PH-meters are sensitive need good care (actually the probe gets screwed up easily) and generally lasts only 1-2 years.

Do not buy any "TDS-meter", but an EC-meter instead. Actually everybody should go for EC and mS/cm instead of multiple ppm conversion rates, that in fact aren't actual PPM at all- and often lead to misconception of ppm, confusion and error!

Both instruments exist in resolutions of 1 or 2 decimals, as in .0 and .00. Lower resolution 0.1 is OK (and cheaper) to actually measure nutrient solution and PH accurately enough, but to really monitor daily changes, one decimal isn't good enough. Just because daily changes mostly happen in ranges of as little as 2 decimals. Hence with a low resolution instrument, daily variations/changes can't even be detected.
Instead of trashing my meter answer the mans question, You are entitled to your opinion even though it IS wrong!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:26 AM

I gave extensive explanations and some warnings that will enable "the man" to make the right choice, I believe.

You on the other hand may or may not regret your personal choice or your opinion, but if, it would most probably be because of what I explained about the PH probe and unnecessary and confusing conversion to "ppm". If you or anyone else doesn't trust my expertise or believe this is wrong, simply check back with some (other) neutral expert in the field.

Recommending what is one's personal choice, without giving a single argument or explanation why, nor knowing or telling about advantages and possible disadvantages of such choice - how easy is that, Dear? And is that actually answering the man's question?!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I gave extensive explanations and some warnings that will enable "the man" to make the right choice, I believe.

You on the other hand may or may not regret your personal choice or your opinion, but if, it would most probably be because of what I explained about the PH probe and unnecessary and confusing conversion to "ppm". If you or anyone else doesn't trust my expertise or believe this is wrong, simply check back with some (other) neutral expert in the field.

Recommending what is one's personal choice, without giving a single argument or explanation why, nor knowing or telling about advantages and possible disadvantages of such choice - how easy is that, Dear? And is that actually answering the man's question?!
His question was "which" meter do you have experience with. Did you answer his question,DEAR?
Old 03-28-2010, 11:10 AM

No time for such ridiculous arguments.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
No time for such ridiculous arguments.
I agree Dear, maybe you should just sit back and be quiet and let the adults talk.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:20 AM

Pretty sure you the kiddo here, son
Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 AM

What ever you say and how boorish you ever get, you still the kiddo (how old are you anyway?), and you still bought and recommend the wrong thing.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Did I say it was the best? No! He asked what others have used. I got a great deal on mine, I have used it. It works well. Now did you post which meter you have used? No you just wanted to be a asshole which again you did very well. How ever boorish I seem to you I did answer the mans question and you did NOT. I am sure you still use ph strips there in your single wide mobile home.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Let's keep it on topic folks.... thanks!

Closed Thread