Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

Help me finish this set up please.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:19 PM

Default Help me finish this set up please.

Hello everybody! I'm new here and been playing with the idea of starting a hydroponic garden. A couple years back, I made a 102 Gallon grow out reserivoir intended to cultivate salt water reef rock (I'm into aquariums). I was going to sell the rock but changed my mind as the turn around is not worth the time. So I decided to convert this system into a hydro set up that my family and I can enjoy.

I want a system where I can grow multiple types of vegetables, fruits, and herbs. Is this possible? I know different crops have different needs so whats the best system I can build based off what I already have to do this?

The tank is 5' by 3' by 20" made by a wood frame, with plywood for the walls, and fiber glassed over. It consists of 3 chambers (2 main 46G and one 10G.) I also have a 1/3 HP chiller and a 600GPH pump. Should I have two isolated systems or would one do it? What could I expect to grow with the most versatile formula of nutrients, temperature, and lighting.

I think I decided on ebb and flow. I will put the tray on top of this tank. I live in Florida and it will be done in the garage. I have a 4 Lamp 48" T5 fixture and
will supplement with some led's if need be. What's your take at first glance?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:15 PM

Default Here's an actual pic of the build.

Excuse the mess (one of the main chambers has a bunch of moving boxes in it), but you can see how I fiberglassed over the plywood shell. This is one of the 46 gallon sections at 2'x3'x20". You can see my rudimentary plumbing out of pvc in the basin which I can adjust/add/delete to fit with whatever will be decided overall. You can also see the small 10 gallon section thats called a "detritus trap" in the aquarium hobby. The point of this trap is to create a chamber of slow low flow that funnels dropping waste to a drain at the bottom. Perhaps this could be of service with a hydro set up? Anyway, the gray glue on the walls in the pic is me using epoxy glue to seal spots where the fiberglass split when I ran a grinding bit to smooth the corners where the fiberglass overhung. It is still under construction and will I will go over it with one solid white coat of resin when I'm done. Hope this pic helps anyone understand better what I have so far.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:34 PM

Hello daytonajim00,
You could use the container in a couple of ways. The first as two 46 gallon reservoirs. Or as the growing chamber for some plants and have the reservoir separate. It looks big and bulky, as well as heavy, so either way you may some things to consider. For the best use I think I would probably use it as the reservoir/s. You still need to make sure you can drain and clean it out easily, and that it's good and close to the ground. But You could use the large reservoir for things like rows of buckets used as a drip system with large plants like tomato's, peppers, melons etc.. You could use the small one for another smaller system with herbs etc..

P.S.
But if it's not waterproof, you'll likely have nothing but problems. Wood and water don't play nice together.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
You could use the large reservoir for things like rows of buckets used as a drip system with large plants like tomato's, peppers, melons etc.. You could use the small one for another smaller system with herbs etc..
That's a good idea.
I fiberglassed it so it's basically made of the same thing of the hull of a boat. It is heavy and bulky but durable. I just want to make sure I maximize my set up to grow a wide a variety of crops as possible. I was thinking using the two separate 46G sections to run 2 seperate systems. One for non-fruiting crops (lettuce, herbs) and one for fruiting ones (peppers, tomatoes). Does this sound right?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I just want to make sure I maximize my set up to grow a wide a variety of crops as possible. I was thinking using the two separate 46G sections to run 2 seperate systems. One for non-fruiting crops (lettuce, herbs) and one for fruiting ones (peppers, tomatoes). Does this sound right?
Everybody seems to always want to grow all kinds of crops using the same reservoir. However often they would be better off scaling back the variety of plants. But for sure, use one reservoir for fruiting plants, and the other for non fruiting plants. It's not just the nutrients you use, but also how strong they are, and the size of the plants that affect how much they need. But you can always try. You probably wont get blue ribbon plants and fruits, but I don't think your expecting that.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
But for sure, use one reservoir for fruiting plants, and the other for non fruiting plants.
Thanks. I just wanted to plan as I'm new to the hobby. I got a couple of books at the library today and have been reading online on and off for a year now, playing with the idea.

One thing that helps: I've been into the Saltwater Reef Aquarium hobby for 8 years now. I understand creating essential water perameters, lighting needs, plumbing/water flow design.

I'll try non-fruiting vegs. first (basically just lettuces and herbs) and if that goes well, I'll do more. I got some MaxiGro and rockwool cubes today. I'll share my results.