Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Hydroponic Peas in Rain Gutters?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Default Hydroponic Peas in Rain Gutters?

Here's my idea. I have a place in my garden where I can easily fix up some rain gutters to grow what I hope will be peas in the spring and beans in the summer.
I already have other systems, 20 bato buckets for tomatoes, 11 bottle for my herbs (posted in the systems forum) a vertical system similar to the one below, and an ebb/flow system for what I don't know yet.

The question I have is, would a rain gutter system for peas lose too much water to evaporation? I live in Utah so it is pretty arid here, but I'm thinking that a rain gutter would allow me to plant quite a lot. Is there a better way to grow peas for home use?
Thanks for your advice!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vertical-gardens.jpg
Views:	8116
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2168  
Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Default I like the simplicity of your pipe system in picture

I like how you have used concrete buckets to hold the posts and just fit the pipes on to the post. Simple and easy. No need to build an elaborate frame etc. I don't see any clamps that secure these pipes to the 4X4s or 2X4s. How are the pipes fixed to the posts? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM

I am using a 2 1/2 foot piece of strap metal from home depot. I just bend it into a "C" shape and bend then ends out so that I can screw it to the 4x4. The one above is NOT mine, but is very similar. I should be able to finish it this weekend.

And now that I have thought about it, rain gutters may not be the solution but downspouts doing NFT just might be
Old 04-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Default Is downspout and PVC pipe system not same thing?

I would think that downspout and PVC pipe would be same thing. You would have to cut holes in both. For Downspout it may be harder to find the right thing to close the ends. Right?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Well, you are right. They would work the same way, but I am just not looking forward to working with 10 foot long 4 inch PVC. I was at the store the other day and looked at them and then looked at the 4 inch drain pipe (white with black interior) and went with it for my vertical system. It was rigid, light weight, and a bit cheaper.
I guess the downspout idea is in the same vein. Just trying to make handling this stuff a little easier.
Yes, I could use PVC. I'm just looking for alteratives.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 AM

piperjim
I've been meaning to reply to this thread, but something always seems to distract me, then I forget. Anyhow I think your on the right track though. The 4 inch ADS irrigation tubing would allow more root space for the pea plants than the downspouts or rain gutters would. Pea plants will grow quite a big root mass. Here's a link to the pea plants I grew in that exact ADS tubing a while back: http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/for...rd-system.html, I also attached a picture of the root mass after harvest (I guess I never added it to the thread). The ADS tubing also has a couple of advantages over the PVC tubing other than being cheaper (including end caps). First it's black inside, and that blocks light, yet it's white outside and that reflects light (so it's ready to go). Second is it's much lighter, and easier to cut than PVC. Just remember that the ADS tubing is not PVC, and even though PVC glue works intentionally, the ADS irrigation tubing takes it's own glue.

Also, another hint is when I constructed my system I forgot it would need to be opened to get the root mass out to reuse it. That's why I had to cut it in half to do so, then silicone a coupler in the center that never really worked well. Because it wasn't glued in, the weight from the water made it flex to much in the center. That made keeping the water level correct difficult. I forget who came up with the idea of using a rubber band as a gasket (like a large "O" ring). By placing it around the tubing before putting the end caps on. Thus tight fitting, yet removable, as well as still water tight. I haven't tried it because I haven't rebuilt the system after the second use (the tubing is still in the backyard), but I would test/try it out for sure. If the rubber band binds up when slipping the end caps on, try putting a thin layer of Vegetable oil on it first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_9638.jpg
Views:	1696
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2169   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9640.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	2170   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9642.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2171  
Old 04-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Wow! That root mass is awesome!
You talked me into it. THe 4 inch ABS is definitely the way to go.
Your ideas are a huge help. I never thought about flood and drain for this setup. I was going to go with NFS but F/D would be a lot simpler.
The pics showing the fitting on the end help a lot too. I was going to Home Depot to poke around tonight to find something similiar. Now I know a bit more what to look for.

When I get it done, I'll post pics.
Thanks!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

I also used th 4" drainage pipe for my sugar peas then I trellised them with a cattle panel. Worked really good! Do not put tomatoes it that small of pipe though...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydroponics 013.jpg
Views:	1556
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	2172   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 007.jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2173   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 023.jpg
Views:	1376
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2174  
Old 04-06-2012, 05:19 AM

One more hint I should mention.
Through a lot of trial and error, I've learned to make the overflow twice the size of the water inlet. Water coming in is under pressure from the pump, but the draining water is just gravity fed and cant drain as fast as pressurized water coming from the pump. Making the overflow twice the size keeps it from backing up and spilling out before it can drain, or needing to worry about trying to solve the problem through the timer setting, and/or diverting some of the water flow from the water inlet side. If you use a 1/2 inch water inlet, I would use a 1 inch overflow, or two-1/2 inch overflow fittings.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:24 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

If you read my threrad on my second system you will see the issues I had using the 4" pipe. IMHO it is just too small for tomatoes, everything thing else was fine in it except the vine plants and the zuchinni.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrion Hornsby View Post
Hi. I'm new here. I wouldn't think that there is such a thing as "too much" water loss in any hydro system -- as opposed to growing them in soil. I believe you'd be less worried about the water issue once those plants started to fill in over the media. The pea plants will evaporate huge amounts of moisture into the air anyway.

I might be worried more about the gutter buckling under the weight though.
Thanks for your ideas. Actually, I have decided to go with the 4 inch ADS irrigation tubing supported by 2x4s. I'll post when I get it done. Right now I'm furiously trying to get two other systems online since spring has sprung here in Utah
I did get my peas started so they will be ready to transplant into the tubes when they get ready.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrion Hornsby View Post
Can I get the link to that thread?

Here ya go...

http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/for...nd-system.html
Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ovendoctor
Talking

awesome thread FTF
I learned a lot and saved my self a bunch of problems

Doc.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Wow, thanks! I'm just learning as I'm going, trial and error and advice from this site. I really love hydroponics and can't wait till I get a green house so I can tinker all year.