Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Hydroponics in the winter

Old 06-27-2014, 09:06 PM

Default Hydroponics in the winter

Hey guys, newbie here. I have been doing a ton of research on hydroponics, gathered some supplies, bought some equipment, and I am ready to begin growing all sorts of vegetables in an attempt to become a bit more self sustainable. Through extensive research I have answered all of my own questions... except one.

I want to grow right through the winter. I live in central New York, and it can get quite cold (last year we saw steady temperatures well below zero). The only space I have to grow is outside or in my unheated, uninsulated detached garage.

I have looked into the real nice double walled greenhouses that are supposed to keep temperatures high even in the winter. One of those would be awesome, if I had the money. However, I am wondering If I can build a small greenhouse that would let me grow in the summer using the sun, and carry it into the garage to use in the winter with lights. Is there anyway I can add insulation to the greenhouse during the winter, maybe like a custom made bubblewrap jacket to go over the whole thing?

Another thought is purchasing a mylar tent. How well would one of these hold heat in the winter if it were placed in my garage? Again, if it didn't hold heat, could I somehow add insulation?

My next thought is framing off a section of my garage and insulating it, turning it into a year round grow room.

Greenhouse would be great because it would save me from burning electricity with lights in the summer, but i would have to move it every winter.

The other two would be nice because they would be permanent spots.

Thoughts?

Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 AM

Nobody? Is it not feasible to grow in the winter? It seems that not too many people are doing it.