Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

Pepper plant

Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 PM

Default Pepper plant

Hello

I just thought I would share a few pictures of a pepper plant I started growing a few weeks ago. I was in a hurry to get it going so I didn't start it from seeds, I bought a small plant at K-mart and washed off the roots before placing it in the DWC system. They are Anaheim peppers. I wanted Hatch peppers but they didn't have any, and I didn't want to use more gas to drive all the way out to home depot and wal-mart, so I settled for the Anaheim peppers (their close enough).

The first pictures with the roots hanging out of the pot was taken a about a week after I transplanted it into the system. The picture where the plant is bigger and of the peppers growing were taken 3 weeks later. You'll notice the bubble wrap insulation around the bucket. The temp here in the desert is already reaching 95-97 degrees, and likely be in the 100's next week, the insulation is keeping the nutrient solution and root zone cool.

The bucket is larger than a standard 5 gallon bucket and has 7 gallons of nutrient solution in it. Because of our very low humidity and high temperatures here in the desert, as well as the plant growing bigger, the plant is already drinking about one gallon of water a day. I top it off each night with a 1/2 gallon size ice cube, then plain water till it reaches the top. So far the nutrient solution is staying nice and cool, and peppers are growing fast.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0837.jpg
Views:	1481
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2639   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0839.jpg
Views:	1468
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	2640   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0846.jpg
Views:	1442
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	2641   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0847.jpg
Views:	1401
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	2642   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0848.jpg
Views:	1441
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	2643  

Name:	100_0849.jpg
Views:	1396
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	2644   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0850.jpg
Views:	1445
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	2645  
Old 10-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Hello

I just thought I would share a few pictures of a pepper plant I started growing a few weeks ago. I was in a hurry to get it going so I didn't start it from seeds, I bought a small plant at K-mart and washed off the roots before placing it in the DWC system. They are Anaheim peppers. I wanted Hatch peppers but they didn't have any, and I didn't want to use more gas to drive all the way out to home depot and wal-mart, so I settled for the Anaheim peppers (their close enough).

The first pictures with the roots hanging out of the pot was taken a about a week after I transplanted it into the system. The picture where the plant is bigger and of the peppers growing were taken 3 weeks later. You'll notice the bubble wrap insulation around the bucket. The temp here in the desert is already reaching 95-97 degrees, and likely be in the 100's next week, the insulation is keeping the nutrient solution and root zone cool.

The bucket is larger than a standard 5 gallon bucket and has 7 gallons of nutrient solution in it. Because of our very low humidity and high temperatures here in the desert, as well as the plant growing bigger, the plant is already drinking about one gallon of water a day. I top it off each night with a 1/2 gallon size ice cube, then plain water till it reaches the top. So far the nutrient solution is staying nice and cool, and peppers are growing fast.
just checked out ur website I like it lots good stuff and link ... btw nice pepper plant that be next for me if I succeed lol
Old 10-30-2014, 02:42 AM

Hello Bigdaddy216,
It's a very simple and easy system to build. Perfect for people who want to start to get their feet wet (no pun intended) growing hydroponically. Normally I wouldn't grow a plant like the pepper/chilli plant in this type of system because it will be too much maintenance when the plant gets big. But I knew I wasn't going to be growing it to full size because it would wind up getting to hot here before then anyway.

I attached some pictures of it a few weeks before I puled it up in early July. By then it was drinking 2-1/2 to 3 gallons of water each day, and I needed to add about all that back in ice to keep the root zone cool. I added ice back until the water level was correct again twice a day. Both late night before I went to bed, and mid afternoon. I could have kept it going a little longer if I created a shade cover for it, but I had a business meting out of town, and it wouldn't last one day without attending to it, much 3 days. So I harvested all the peppers and cut it up before I left. I really only built the system to take pictures and put the design plans on my website. In case you haven't seen them here is a link to the design plans for it.
Easy to build five gallon bucket DWC system

The plant can get at least twice as big as it did when I cut it up. That's why if I had meant to keep it to full size, I would have used a drip system to grow it in. I plan to grow them commercially, and when I do, I'll have rows of five gallon buckets filled with coco chips (and rocks on the bottom) designed as a drip system. With the pepper plants growing under shade cloth, and a mister system on a timer to cool the plants as well as raise humidity levels around the plants. I hope to grow 4 to 6 peppers for personal use next year, but would do it the same way, in the same type of drip system under shade cloth with misters, just on a smaller scale than commercially with 50-100 pants growing.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0846.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	2735   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0879.jpg
Views:	1305
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	2736   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0881.jpg
Views:	1348