Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Slime buildup

Old 01-23-2016, 06:33 AM

Default Slime buildup

Hey i have a DWC setup and my problem is that i have this what looks like a slime scum buildup that only forms underwater on the rubber air lines and the black soft rubber silicon type of poly pipe that it connected to the pumps underwater and on the power cable on the pumps as well, its weird cos it does not form on the bottom or sides of the tubs at all, or on the pumps that are underwater, but only on rubber or soft plastic type surfaces, the water is crystal clear. Im using Fairform Green Dream nutes which are chemical and not organic, i havnt added anything into the water besides ph down when it needs it and i use phosphoric acid for that, anyways does anyone have a clue what it is???

some of it is getting onto the roots a bit i think
The slime appears to be a light brown orange color when wipes off with a paper towel

Last edited by MickR33; 01-23-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:18 AM

Hello MickR33,

1. What is the water temp (day and night)?
2. Is the container with the nutrients and roots 100% light proof?
3. How often do you change your nutrients?
4. Do you clean everything when you do a nutrient change?
5. Do you have any clear pictures of the roots?
Old 05-11-2016, 12:40 PM

I'm seeing a similar thing in my DWC. It's a light beige color though rather than orange or green. It is on the walls, and on the roots of the system. I haven't changed the water in about 3 weeks. Will do that this weekend. it's not 100% void of light because of the room around the rock wool in the baskets.

I am using a flat tupperware tote that is about six inches deep and just under 4 feet long. I spray painted the sides black to black it out.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:47 PM

Hello Rye,
Start by blocking the light. Make some sort of cover to cover the openings where light is getting in. Blocking the light is the only way to be sure if it's an algae or not. If it is an algae it will die off and disappear when the light disappears. If it continues even though there is no light, it's not an algae.