Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

design and mechanically

Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 AM

Default design and mechanically

Hi
I've built a 15 plant garden based on your design and mechanically, it's working well. I use X10 controllers and computer interfaces to operate the pump. My schedule starts at sunrise, ends at sunset; the duration of pump operation is 8 minutes on and between 15 minutes and 40 minutes off, depending on the time of day (shorter off off intervals during warmer parts of the day.)
So, all this stuff is working great. I started plants in my house under fluorescent grow tubes in 1 inch rockwool cubes, and watered them with a half-strength nutrient solution. Then our last theoretical frost free day arrived (May 15-20!!) and I transplanted the plants to the cups and moved the whole works outdoors to the garden. And then, presto! All the leaves fell off! The leaves turned a white/yellow colour, and the few leaves that survived have brown tips on them. According to the books I have, the sudden increase in light and/or heat may have caused the leaves to discolour and begin falling off.
Just noticed I haven't said what I (attempt to) grow -- tomatoes, bush beans, peas and basil. The peas and basil seem to be doing better than the tomatoes and beans.
I'd appreciate any guidance and help you folks can offer...
Regards,
John Hoogerdijk Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 AM

When you transplanted the cubes to the system you should have left the plants under the artificial light for several days so the plants can adapt to the new system and medium before you put them out side and cooked the poor things.
Ron