Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Guidance Required for Run to waste Garlic Setup

Old 04-09-2017, 02:07 AM

Default Guidance Required for Run to waste Garlic Setup

Hi,
I am planning a Run to waste hydroponic set up [with coco peat] for Garlic growing in 1000 Square meter area.

I am planning 6 plants per square feet, that will be approx. 30,000 plants of garlic.

I am stuck at following two problems were i seek your help and advise.

1. How to plant? - In grow bags or grow beds - or is there any other suitable way to plant?

2. How to irrigate? How to i irrigate 30,000 plants? individual drips per plant is out of question ? is there any other way ?

Old 04-10-2017, 04:04 PM

Hello technocrat_4321,
First I wouldn't use coco peat. I would use coco coir. I would suggest using panda grow tubes, or rows of trough's. As for irrigation, if your going to use a non recirculating drip system, your going to need precise watering. To do that you need a cycle timer and many drippers/lines. Otherwise you cant control the watering times precisely and get even watering. You don't necessarily need drip emitters, but you need many watering points to water the growing media evenly. If the growing media isn't evenly watered you will have dry spots. if you try and compensate for a lack of watering points by watering longer, you will defeat the whole purpose and be wasting water. Not to mention over saturating some spots while having dry spots in other places.