Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

coloring the water

Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to watercatwn6535nd
Default coloring the water

Has anyone added food coloring to the plants solution just to see what happens. I was wondering if it would change the color of the fruit. like adding blue to a yellow sqaush might make it green. Or if you added lots of red would it make your tomotoes even red'er. Its getting to that time to start thnking about this year fair and I like to bring a little something differnt. I was going to go with my pineapple this yaer but it just ripened and i think this week its going to become a milk shake. the top of course will be my next plant but not enough time to get it grown to be worthy of the fair.

I was thinking of a potatoe plant, every week chnage out teh solution with a new color. maybe this would give the potatoe different colors inside from when it was grwoing with each color? almost like tree rings? I would enter them as easter egg potatoes.

I'm not insane i'm gardener, after hours and hours in there with them they ask me these questions i have no answers for.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Has anyone added food coloring to the plants solution just to see what happens. I was wondering if it would change the color of the fruit. like adding blue to a yellow sqaush might make it green. Or if you added lots of red would it make your tomotoes even red'er.
I can't say I have ever even thought about doing that, it seems plausible anyway.
Quote:
I was thinking of a potatoe plant, every week chnage out teh solution with a new color. maybe this would give the potatoe different colors inside from when it was grwoing with each color? almost like tree rings? I would enter them as easter egg potatoes.
If adding color to the nutrient solution does work, I don't think you would get anything like tree rings by changing the color each week. It would probably just wind up being a combination of all the colors at the end.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:48 PM

Back in grade school had an experiment with a stock to Celery in a glass of water with food coloring, and after a few days you could see the color was up in the stock. So this may work.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to watercatwn6535nd
Default colored potato

Colored potatos would be very interesting, also i think i might throw in a white onion.

I'm interested in changing the color of flowers i think. just not sure which one to do. i want a color change that no one has ever had yet to keep the ladys at the fair thinking. they still cant figure out how i did giant cukes that tasted like baby cukes.

yesterday i added black berry vine (its cloning right now) and a rasberry i think? any how i found them growing over a neighbors fence so i took some great cuttings. i actually went to get a grape vine but the vines are so woody and look like heck i though i better go back with a shovel and get some roots with the stem. She has great grapes they grow wild and up a cedar tree every year bad lighting no water, they end up being very small and very tasty. so i figure a hydro magic andi'll have them growing up and down the light fixtures in no time.

whos doing trees? i see them at lowes dwarf freet trees for 15$ just perfect for a bucket. i like peaches or the old variety of the small purple plumbs most of us had at our grand parents house. i just took mine out becuase of diese in the yard so i'll be on the hunt for the seed this year on road trips. i'll be the guy knocking on your door needing to get a plumb or two from you. hybrids are great but they dont make up for some of those really great fruits that were not big producers.

also i have cuke plant and radishes on atike lapse right now every minute tell i get bored and i posted to my you tube a tomato plant on time lapse. great fun and free software. the name is nimisis.com i think. its on the video it has there stamp with the free version which is just fne with me.