Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Large scale Hydroponics farm in Kuwait

Old 12-22-2012, 08:23 AM

Default Large scale Hydroponics farm in Kuwait

Hi Ya'll !

So my brother and I, Canadians with an Arabic background decided that a Hydroponics farm in the Middle East would be a great idea, considering the lack of fertile soil, cheap virtually free electricity, cheap desalinized water, and virtually free desert land.

So we've been planning to set up this hydroponics farm in Kuwait, we've found a piece of land, and couple of rich Arab investors with spare land and money.

The thing is we're both electrical engineers and we have no experience in farming whatsoever, so I sometimes feel like we're taking on way more than we should. But my brother motivates me a lot, he's much more of a risk taker than I am I guess.

So here's the deal:
The biggest challenge is the heat, temperature can reach a soaring 50'c in August here, not sure what's that in 'F but it's much hotter than Arizona.
However the most appealing factors are the ones I mentioned earlier, and the fact that most of the food is imported.

The initial plan is to build a concrete structure, since concrete is really cheap here, and is a pretty good insulator.

Indoors we're planning multiple farming levels of PVC pipes topped with led lights. We're planning on tomatoes, chilli peppers, sweet peppers & squash.

We'll also have a local Horticulturalist on site helping us with all the farming details, seasons, seeds, fertilizers, etc..

I am expecting a really steep learning curve but..

Is the plan too simple?
Do I sound crazy?
Is there anything else really important we're missing out on?
What do you guys think?
Tips?

Last edited by Maple_leaf; 12-22-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:47 PM

I hope your inverters have plenty of money, and aren't expecting much in return. Those led's are going to cost a fortune if you plan to grow a lot of large plants like tomatoes, peppers, squash etc. using them. If you don't have experience growing plants hydroponically yet, then yes you are trying to take on to much and going to fast to start.

I suggest growing everything you want to grow on a small scale and work out the bugs first, before going large scale. If you try growing large scale to start and working out the bugs as you go, you'll probably wind up having to redesign them over, wasting a LOT of money in the process. Not to mention needing to rethink the cost of your lighting plan. Start small scale, work out the bugs, and grow small scale successfully before spending the money to scale up.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 PM

Wink Same idea, less resources....

I have a similar idea for the inner city here in buffalo, ny. There are tons of old warehouses that would be perfect for large scale indoor farming. I am thinking hydroponics is the way to go but am new and am planning on starting in my basement. Mostly due to lack of funding. Believe me, if I had it plans would be moving right along. I know plenty of people here with the experience and I would gladly front the cash. I think it's great what your doing and wish you all the success.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 PM

Any progress?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM

Default Large Scale Hydroponics Farm in Kuwait

I believe beginning at small scale is your best bet for avoiding many costly problems in the near future. Let us know how this bigger project works out here at http://www.hydroponicsonline.com