Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

questions regarding outdoor growing

Old 01-21-2016, 01:05 AM

Default questions regarding outdoor growing

Hello everyone, I'm somedude.
I have been growing bell peppers, peppers and tomatoes for about a year now using NFT.
I want to build something similar to this(high hoop building), but smaller, in my backyard to plant peppers.
I have a couple of questions though.

1. it's HOT here. The average temperature is 29 C(84F) and during the warmest months, it can peak at 34 C(93F)
Should I cover the hoop in shade cloth(if so, what percentage should i get) or should i just cover the top of the hoop partially so the sun doesn't directly shine on the plants around 11am-3pm? what would you recommend?

2. I plan to use insect mesh instead of polyethylene to allow for the wind to pollinate my plants. Would this be enough, or should i still shake the plants?

Old 01-21-2016, 03:39 AM

Hello somedude,
I'm a bit confused by your questions.

1. The reason for building a hop house is usually to keep the plants warm during the winter months, and/or to protect them from wind, rain, temp, etc. So if it's already hot to you there, why bother building one?

2. Tomatoes and peppers are full sun plants, so why do you feel you need to shade them mid day?

3. I'm confused because you said you don't plan to use polyethylene, and instead use insect mesh to allow the air to pass through. If so, it wouldn't get any hotter inside it than outside it. Nor would it protect them from wind, rain, temp' etc. etc. So I'm confused as to why you seem concerned with it getting to hot inside, and why bother building it in the first place?

4. The insect mesh itself will act as a shade cloth. So in fact it should be cooler inside than outside if your not using polyethylene glazing, and using insect mesh instead since they will be in partial shade, rather than full sun.

As for pollinating, both tomatoes and peppers are self pollinating. The natural wind/air currents outside are enough. However pollinating insects still help insure proper fruit set. You might want to leave at least a window open on each end to allow pollinating insects to get in and out.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Hello somedude,
I'm a bit confused by your questions.

1. The reason for building a hop house is usually to keep the plants warm during the winter months, and/or to protect them from wind, rain, temp, etc. So if it's already hot to you there, why bother building one?
To protect from rain and insects.

Quote:
2. Tomatoes and peppers are full sun plants, so why do you feel you need to shade them mid day?
I'm not sure what the best is for this. I see on some websites that the plants will suffer a bit when the temps consistently go above 80F.

Quote:
3. I'm confused because you said you don't plan to use polyethylene, and instead use insect mesh to allow the air to pass through. If so, it wouldn't get any hotter inside it than outside it. Nor would it protect them from wind, rain, temp' etc. etc. So I'm confused as to why you seem concerned with it getting to hot inside, and why bother building it in the first place?
Oops, sorry, i forgot to edit my previous post. I meant that i intend to use the mesh on the front and back to keep insects out while still allowing for air circulation.
Quote:
4. The insect mesh itself will act as a shade cloth. So in fact it should be cooler inside than outside if your not using polyethylene glazing, and using insect mesh instead since they will be in partial shade, rather than full sun.

As for pollinating, both tomatoes and peppers are self pollinating. The natural wind/air currents outside are enough. However pollinating insects still help insure proper fruit set. You might want to leave at least a window open on each end to allow pollinating insects to get in and out.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:52 AM

Hello somedude,

Quote:
I'm not sure what the best is for this. I see on some websites that the plants will suffer a bit when the temps consistently go above 80F.
Can you post some links to this, because something is wrong. I don't know if your misunderstanding it, or miss-communicating it. Either way something's wrong.

Quote:
Oops, sorry, i forgot to edit my previous post. I meant that i intend to use the mesh on the front and back to keep insects out while still allowing for air circulation.
OK, Well again I'm confused because now your saying that you plan to use the polyethylene on the top and sides (not ends), and one of the reasons is because your concerned about heat buildup. Doing so will only increase heat. The plastic covering doesn't do much of anything but hold in heat, and block air flow. It can protect from rain, but will only amount to about 5% shade while increasing heat drastically. So if protecting them from heat was important, that would have the opposite affect.

If you want to protect them from rain, rolling the plastic over the top when your expecting rain would be beneficial. But rolling it back when the weather is good would be important as well. As for insects and bug screening, what specifically are you trying to keep from getting to your plants?

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-26-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:24 PM

Default Small Greenhouse with Cucumbers and Heatmaster Tomatoes

I have enjoyed posts and articles here for a while. Thanks to all.
But I have some questions of my own.
I use Master Blend mixed with calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate. Originally, I mixed in grams 12/12/6 and my TDS meter on a new batch reported around 800. The 7.5 PH tap water was reduced after the mix to about 6.8. I sampled water from the small lake on my property and it was 7.8PH. Just a point of interest.
My question relates to the chart I saw on this website. It says my nuts should measure 1300 PPM and higher for Tomatoes. I am amazed at the growth and success so far with my current setups. I use a painted 5 gal tub for cukes and 2 5 gal buckets draining into a third 5 gal bucket reservoir. I have started a few small containers with a double batch (24/24/12) to see if there is a difference, but those are static (no airstone, no pump).
Although the tomatoes in the hot nuts show no difference yet, the experiment is not very old. I would have expected a change.
Do you guys stand by the Tomato nutrients? I am new to this (3 months).
Also I use a electric toothbrush to pollinate tomatoes very successfully. I use the flower of male cukes to pollinate female cukes. What should I use to pollinate my strawberries in my DIY tower?