Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

Alternative nutrients?micronutrients alternative?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:08 AM

Default Alternative nutrients?micronutrients alternative?

is there any alternative to micro nutrients?help please!

Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 AM

I don't understand the question. All plants need micro nutrients, even soil grown plants need micro nutrients. But with soil grown plants the micro nutrients aren't normally added as a fertilizer because they generally get what they need from the soil (as well as some from the water itself, unless you use distilled water to water your plants). Their called "micro" nutrients because they are required by plants in much smaller quantity than the other elements. Therefore are rarely added to fertilizers intended for soil. That's the basic difference between regular fertilizers and hydroponic fertilizers in a nutshell.

So if the question is will plants grow without micro nutrients (soil or hydroponics)? The best answer I can give is yes, but not healthy at all. If you took the micro nutrients out of the soil, you would wind up with more or less the same result as growing hydroponically without micro nutrients (assuming that all the other elements in the nutrients as well as the growing conditions are the same).
Old 12-09-2010, 03:01 AM

yeah sorry the question did not even make sense i'm having a hard time explaining....

i want to make my own hydroponic nutrient solution is there anything i can use to get the full amount of trace element/micronutrients?without the need of buying each chelated elements?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 AM

How are you planing to make your own nutrients? Are you wanting to buy each element separately for basic nutrients. Then want to use a pre-mixed micro-nutrient?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:42 AM

yes that's what i was going to do
Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 AM

instead of mixing the micro nutrients is there any element i can use to mix with the macro element that releases trace elements?sorry if its confusing...
Old 12-09-2010, 04:35 AM

Where are you located? There is at least one company in the USA that sells a pre-mix micro-nuternt blend. But I would need to find the link again. Although if you are are in a pinch, I understand that adding "Epsom salt" (Magnesium Sulfate) and "calcium nitrate" to miracle grow (a soil based fertilizer) can work. But I have never tried it, and personally don't know anyone who has. So I can't tell you how well it works, I also can't tell you what quantity to mix, or if making your own soil base nutrients (without micro nutrients) it will be compatible. So trial and error would be your best bet there.

That's all about chemistry, and some elements will bond with others, rendering them useless to plants (even if they were water soluble to begin with). Not to mention plant chemistry is very complex, even involving temperature, humidity, type of plant, plant cycle, light (photosynthesis) etc., as to how the plants use the available nutrients, and what they need. That's why I'm wondering why anyone would want to try to make their own nitrients without having what they need available to them, even if they had a clear understanding of all the chemistry involved.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 12-09-2010 at 04:37 AM.