Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

RAW Nutrients

Old 12-13-2015, 06:48 PM

Default RAW Nutrients

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkwTo79NXE
The research director for RAW nutrients at 18:30 here says that cane molasses will feed micro organisms that eat all the nitrates in your solution and starve your plant, but its in his growth formula. Can anyone explain this?

Last edited by chopficaro; 12-13-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:05 AM

Hello chopficaro,
There are microorganisms in any nutrient solution. There are both beneficial, as well as pathogenic microorganisms, the key is balance. Even to much of a good thing can be bad. If they are using molasses as an ingredient, I would say that the amount in their formula takes that into account. But also possibly the growth stage as well. As he mentioned nitrogen is needed more during vegetative growth, not as much during the flowering stage (assuming they are not continuously flowering plants). But if you want a better or more specific answer, I would e-mail them directly. They make them, they should know the reason they use the ingredients in them.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 12-14-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:29 AM

you think he meant that a little molasses is good but more is bad?
idk if i email them im sure they will have a biased answer, ill try it though
Old 12-14-2015, 09:25 PM

Hello chopficaro,
I never heard him say anything about molasses as an ingredient in any product they make. So I have no Idea what the product is, and/or how it's intended to be used. You may find that particular product is intended for plants in the flowering stage growth when nitrogen needs are low. Thus why I suggested you contact them directly.

I also heard him talking about an experiment he did using molasses sugars using up the nitrogen, but I don't know anything about the parameters of the experiment. I don't know what type of refinement it went through before it was used. I don't know quantities of water, nutrients, microbes etc.. I don't know what if any microorganisms were inoculated into the system, I don't know what other products were used. I don't know if there was any kind of a bio-filter. I don't know if this was a organic or synthetic test. I don't know if the product that contains the molasses was the only product used, or if it was even used at all. Or even if the molasses was added as an additive to other products. etc. etc.. There simply isn't anything in the video that is useful in diagnosing a conclusion. And again why I suggest contacting them directly.

I have been down this road myself many times, and know full well that any manufacture or retailer is going to be bias. But I also know if you want to know something specific about a product, start by asking the people who made them. Sometimes you even get a reply from someone in the company that isn't that knowledgeable about the products, but if you persist you usually get referred to someone who is knowledgeable.

Here are a few tips I've learned on acquiring info from manufactures and retailers. First and foremost be nice, nobody is going to want to help a mean person. Second don't be accusatory, or sound like your calling them a lair. If you see a contradiction in information they provide, play stupid. Ask your questions in such a way it sounds like your just naive or ignorant on the subject. Their always happy to help a potential new customer understand. And if you keep asking questions the person can't answer, they usually transfer you to someone more knowledgeable where you can get more specific answers. If it's an e-mail, they forward it to the knowledgeable person. Lastly, ALWAYS act like a customer that is interested in buying their products. Their not going to waste their time on you if they don't think their going to get something out of it (money from a customer).

Once you get answers to your questions from the manufacture, if you have any question's about how creditable it is, or if it's just bias. You can cross check the validity of the specific information given through other creditable sources. Not that it will always be easy to find those creditable sources, but once you know what specifically your looking to check, it's a lot easier than starting with general information. Because if you only have general information, you don't really even know what your looking for, where to start, or how to go about finding it. But if you know what your looking for, you can narrow it down.

While I don't know anything Specific about the RAW nutrients line and their products containing molasses. I can tell you molasses products are usually an additive intended to increase sugars in fruits during the flowering/fruiting stage. It's also sometimes used in compost teas to help feed microorganisms, and boost their numbers. Just like in compost teas, molasses products are sometimes used along with beneficial microbes both in organic systems as well as typical hydroponic systems to help beneficial microbes feed and multiply. But not just any molasses works well. Theirs a difference between molasses/sugar products designed for hydroponics, and the kind you use in cooking or baking. And the molasses product used to boost beneficial microbes are not meant to sustain the population of beneficial microbes (except perhaps in compost teas before it's used), but just artificially increase their numbers in the beginning. Once the beneficial microbe population has grown, and the molasses/sugar is used up, they continue to feed on the pathogenic microbes and multiply in bio-filters.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 12-14-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:00 PM

wow thanks for the run down. im a beginner and i really appreciate the information. im the kind of guy that bathes in new information all day for its own sake. unfortunately, i sent the request for information to the manufacturer before i read your post, and now that i read it, it does sound a little accusatory. that was a mistake lol.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:00 PM

Hello chopficaro
Don't worry about it, live and learn. Just see what happens. They will probably still send you a reply, even if it's not as helpful as you would like or culd have been. But go from there and see where it leads you. You can even try again using a different e-mail address, they will likely think its a different person that way, especially if their busy and get a lot of e-mails. I have 4 different e-mail addresses, and have sometimes done exactly that myself.

I learned the art of getting the information I need 20-25 years ago. I used to be a auto mechanic, and with all the different makes and models of cars you can't know everything. When I ran across something new and/or wanted to know about procedures to remove and replace something I wasn't sure about, and the other techs I worked with weren't either, who do you ask? Well who better to ask but the people who made the cars right? So I would call the dealer. Act like a customer, saying something like I took my car somewhere and they told me I need what ever it was done. But I don't know if they are lying to me and/or trying to over charge for it and didn't trust them. That tells them I'm a potential customer in need of work.

Then I would ask to speak to a auto tech in the shop that wasn't busy and could answer my car questions, that gets me to a knowledgeable person. Then I would ask questions like a typical naive car owner that doesn't know anything about cars, including not using any of the correct terminology. They talk to me not knowing that they were actually talking to another auto tech fishing for information. While all the time making sure that they feel like they are earning my trust and business. Eight out of ten times I could get them to walk me through everything I need to know before they caught on. Even if they did catch on, I would just call a different dealership that specialized in the same type of cars, but in a different city, and get the rest of what I need to know there.

Anyhow that's where I learned the art of getting the info I need. It works for any industry, manufacture, or even retailer. They want to help, but most of all the want to sell and make money. Your dealing with people, and some people will be having a good day, and others will be having a bad day. Some will be busy, and others may have more time. So just keep trying to reach different people if you need to.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 12-14-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:14 PM

very nice, ty