Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

What's wrong with my romaine lettuce? [pics]

Old 02-10-2016, 06:11 PM

Default What's wrong with my romaine lettuce? [pics]

I am a first time hydroponics farmer starting out with romaine lettuce. However, they seemed to have grown tall instead of full.

I used 900ppm of nutrients (water was 300 ppm). 2 parts nitrogen, 1 part calcium, 1 part epsom salt, 1 part 15-15-15 NPK mix at 6.0 ph.

I have not yet connected my water or air pumps so it's now running on the Kratky method. In the pics you will see seedings which were 3 weeks old planted in the hydro setup for 2.5 weeks. The green house is made of shade cloth only, of 50% shade. The plastic isn't installed as yet.

The type is red romaine so you may see some maroon/bronze looking colors on some of the leaves.

Shade Cloth

Old 02-10-2016, 10:29 PM

Hello frazras,

1. What is the daily air temperatures (day and night)?
2. What is the water temperature (day and night)?
3. What is your water source?

Quote:
I used 900ppm of nutrients (water was 300 ppm). 2 parts nitrogen, 1 part calcium, 1 part epsom salt, 1 part 15-15-15 NPK mix
Do you have a link to the nutrients your using and their mixing chart?

Quote:
I have not yet connected my water or air pumps so it's now running on the Kratky method.
Your suffocating the roots. Not only are the roots suffocating, but the lack of water movement is creating pockets of unbalanced nutrients within the water. You may even have pathogens breading and multiplying in the water because of lack of dissolved oxygen and water movement.

P.S.
From the looks of it in the pictures, the plants roots aren't protected from light either....

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 02-10-2016 at 10:31 PM.