Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

michrobes failed to stop pythium

Old 01-11-2017, 01:50 AM

Default michrobes failed to stop pythium

I have been posting a lot about rising pH problems. I found that the cause was that I yet AGAIN had some root rot. It wasn't nearly as bad as before. The equipment was very slimy, but it did not smell. The roots were only a little brown. I can not understand why this happened. I have replaced all of the equipment including the reservoir, channel, tube and pump. The channel and res were completely dark and very well light sealed. The res temp was at optimum oxygen solubility temperature 68F. I had dosed it many times with Hydroguard beneficial microbes. Perhaps the microbes helped a little and that is why it was not as bad this time, but I have taken every precaution I can think of to stop Pythium and I still got it. I have yet again changed the res and replaced all of the equipment, washed the roots, and I have switched from Hydroguard to H2O2. I have applied a full dose of H2O2 to the res and I will be applying a 1/3 dose every day from now on. I am not satisfied at all with this because everything I have read indicates that microbes are a much better way of dealing with Pythium than H2O2, and also have lots of other benefits that I will now be missing out on. Thanks for all your guys help and cross your fingers for me this time!

Old 01-12-2017, 03:41 AM

Hello chopficaro,

First, You cant wash pathogens off of roots.

Second, Blocking light wont stop or reduce pathogens. Blocking light only stops algae. Algae isn't a pathogen, it's micro flora (a microscopic plant). Like any other plant it needs light energy to survive and grow, that's why blocking light stops algae. Algae doesn't harm plants. Not directly anyhow. It does consume the same nutrients and dissolved oxygen the plants need. If theirs enough algae the plants may have to compete for nutrients and oxygen. So potentially, large amounts of algae could starve the plants. But algae isn't a pathogen and wont harm the plants directly.

Third, I'm still waiting for you to finish answering the rest of my questions in the other thread. You said you wanted to solve a puzzle. In order to put a puzzle together and solve it you need to have all the pieces first. That's why I asked the questions I did, to get the pieces of the puzzle I need to help you solve it. Without all the pieces of the puzzle I would just be making random guesses based on bits and pieces. Your the one with the puzzle pieces, and I can't help you solve the puzzle if you don't share the puzzle pieces with me.

If you don't want my help I would appreciate it if you just told me that so I'm not wasting my time trying to help you. If you don't want my help I won't bother replying to your threads anymore. We could both be happy. You won't have to be bothered by me, and I won't be wasting my time on you.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 AM

hey gps, i def appreciate ur help, but i solved the puzzle, it was pythium
Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 PM

Hello chopficaro,
I doubt it. While you may or may not have pathogens, considering your drastic overuse of the beneficial microbes. If the pH issue was in fact due to microbes, it's far more likely to be due to the beneficial microbes, not the pathogens. However before I can make any conclusions and.or give any recommendations, I need to know the answers to the rest of the questions I asked. Both the old ones as well as the new ones. But getting you to answer my questions is like pulling teeth, and that gives me the feeling you just don't want my help. It's one thing if the person doesn't understand the question, that's fine I'll rephrase it. At least they made the effort to try. But when they ignore them or avid them that's another thing all together. If it's one thing I hate, it's wasting my time on people who don't want my help.

It's time consuming trying to help people. Sometimes even taking more than an hour on just one post. Not only do I help people in this forum, but I help people in another forum as well and through direct e-mails I get from my website. I spend many hours daily trying to help people and I don't get paid for it either. Because I'm not getting paid to help people, I need to have a full time job to pay the bills as well. I don't get much time to myself so wasting time trying to help people who don't want my help upsets me. That's time I don't get back.