Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Strawberry Tower

Old 01-24-2017, 03:57 PM

Default Strawberry Tower

I have a DIY strawberry tower in a small greenhouse. I have changed my first pump because nutrient coverage was uneven. I think that fixed the problem.
Now I need to get some details about interval timing. I am currently 3 min on and 15 min off. Is that satisfactory?
What strength nuts seems best for Strawberries? I watch youtube videos and they don't tell me details.
Also, how do I pollinate? Cukes is male flower to female and that works well. Tomatoes using an electric toothbrush is excellent. I once used a small artist brush in an outside patch, but that was difficult and I'm not sure it was me or wind or bugs doing the pollinating.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:00 PM

Hello centralFlaJack,

Quote:
I need to get some details about interval timing. I am currently 3 min on and 15 min off. Is that satisfactory?
I'm assuming that your tower system is a low pressure aeroponic system. As long as your plants aren't wilting that should be fine.

Quote:
What strength nuts seems best for Strawberries?
75% to 100% strength depending on the growing environment. Hot and/or dry conditions I would go more on the lower end around 75% to 80%. In cooler or more humid conditions I would go closer to the higher end 90% to 100\% strength.

Quote:
Also, how do I pollinate?
Strawberry are self pollinating. But will most likely develop more fully with help pollinating from insects. If the plants are outside the bees will find the flowers.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:54 PM

Default Strawberry Tower

I used 2" net pots with the bottom cut out so I could get the roots through and keep the crown out of the nutrients. I have 28 sites on the tower. The plants started to show green leaves almost immediately but then there was a general pause while new roots developed. Then, some seemed to dry up and those showed no new roots. I had some spares and I swapped out the "sick" looking plants. I also moved the ones with heavy old roots to the bottom thinking they were blocking the smaller plants. But today I noticed one of the plants had slid in the net pot so that the crown was getting wet. This plant seemed very healthy with new white roots abundant.
Was I wrong to keep the crowns out of the nuts? Should I allow the nuts to wet the crowns for a week and then pull them up? I did not use the clay stones in the net pots. Is that an issue?
Old 02-03-2017, 01:25 PM

Hello centralFlaJack,
The roots in the baskets should be surrounded by a moist growing medium, and the roots hanging out of the basket should be getting moisture as well. The crowns should NOT be getting wet or they will rot.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:30 PM

I have a 7 foot tower that I just built. The research that i did seemed to indicate that 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off was OK. I'm using a 1/2" hose to pump water to the top and then it is dispersed to spray down the sides of the 5" tower. If you are right I will have to change my timer settings. I'm hoping to find the right answer soon.