Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Ebb and Flow question

Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 PM

Default Ebb and Flow question

Hi guys, I am a newbie, have done a little bit with DWC but was looking to possibly expand my garden to an ebb and flow system, bunch of lettuce, spinach, peppers, etc. My question is I have seen most ebb and flow systems with either the table filled with hydroton and rockwool directly in that media or larger net pots filled with media sitting directly on the table. What I was thinking of doing was getting a covered/lidded tray, and using much 2" net pots suspended via holes in the lid. No media underneath, just table. To me this makes a lot of sense, it allows the roots to have plenty of air, because it's covered, there should be plenty of moisture retained as humidity. My flood cycles would actually be fairly often as well, since there won't be any medium. It almost strikes me as a hybrid between nutrient film and a flood and drain. My question is, will this work? Is there a reason I haven't seen this done much? Thanks In advance all.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:39 PM

Hello ryansgt,
What you describe is a standard flood and drain system. The reason you haven't seen it much is because you haven't been looking in the right places. If you go to a ford dealership all your going to see is a ford, but there are many other cars out there.

Everybody has there preferences (including me), so I gather that the flood table flood and drain system is the preference of the people's who's systems you have seen. But that doesn't mean that's the only flood and drain design. Here is a page that explains three main types of flood and drain systems. While it may not look exactly the same, the type of flood and drain system you describe building is essentially the same as the first one covered ("Plant containers in series design") on the page.

Regardless of how it looks or it's designed, all flood and drain systems have one thing in common. The root system is intermittently flooded with nutrient solution, then drained. Hence the term "Flood & Drain (ebb & flow).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 02-22-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:03 AM

Thanks, I was getting that after a bit more research. I like the extra room I am leaving for the roots to grow down rather than horizontally. I will check out that link.