Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

NFT uneven growth

Old 02-24-2017, 08:28 AM

Default NFT uneven growth

I have an NFT set up from crop king in my greenhouse. I am noticing some issues in regards to yields based on the location of my lettuce plants. All my plants on the drain side of the channel are growing significantly larger than those on the supply side. Any ideas of what could be causing this? Could it be something relating to the Water flow?

Old 02-25-2017, 01:19 PM

Hello AnarchoV,
Sounds like something in the growing environment is different from one side to another.

One side may be getting more light than another. One side may even be getting more low morning or evening light, and the other may be getting more direct mid day light. The temperature may be different from one side to another, even just a couple of degrees can make a big diffrance. Not just air temps but water and/or root zone temperature may be warmer or cooler from one side to another. Your angle of Chanel slope may be different from one side to another. The roots or something else may be causing a backup of water in the channels near the end, causing the water level/depth to be deeper near the end of the channels. But something in the growing environment is different and benefiting the plants at the end of the channels.