Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

new to hydroponics and off to a bad start...

Old 07-04-2017, 07:05 AM

Default new to hydroponics and off to a bad start...

So I started a new project out of my bedroom when i discovered 2 inch net pots fit directly into a de rimmed soda can. the idea is to fill each can with a nutrient solution and put seedlings into the cans and allow them to grow to such a point they become strong enough for the outside unit. right now i am starting various letuce like ruby red and ice burg along with kale and it seems like what happens is they will sprout then flop i was initially using a spare uv bulb from my lizard set up then i bought a new grow light and my cucumber sprout that was growing tall just flopped I tried bracing it with a straw but now its dead... Can anyone help me with setting this nursery for success ? thanks for reading

Old 07-04-2017, 02:04 PM

Default Nutrient level

I just sprout lettuce on 1" grow blocks on a tray Wet it and drain once or twice daily.. once I get roots I put then in 4" netpots

If there is no oxygen to the roots plants will die.. if they are soaked then you may need an aerator. this is called deep water culture or dwc

I use eeb and flow on my outdoor systems.. The roots are submerged and drained about 4 times a day
Old 07-04-2017, 03:00 PM

Default this is how i do

the way im doing it is I fill to were the bottom of the net pot just barley touches the water so tht when the roots come through they will grow as thw ter level in the can goes down but when the rock wool gets dry i will mist i just really dont know what im doing wrong
Old 07-06-2017, 05:30 AM

Hello madamadam14,
First, what you have made is a bunch of wick systems, not water culture systems/DWC systems. Lack of aeration to the roots is a common issue with your design.
Second, heat lamps wont work. Try florescent lights.
Third, by your own statement they aren't wicking up enough water because you said the rockwool cubes are dry (quite possibly because the heat lamps are drying it out faster than it can wick it up).
Fourth, not only do you need to watch your water temperatures, but your air temps as well. Those plants have different temperature preferences.
Fifth, seedlings need high humidity. A clear dome will hold the humidity in, as well as still let the light in.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:34 AM

Default howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Hello madamadam14,
First, what you have made is a bunch of wick systems, not water culture systems/DWC systems. Lack of aeration to the roots is a common issue with your design.
Second, heat lamps wont work. Try florescent lights.
Third, by your own statement they aren't wicking up enough water because you said the rockwool cubes are dry (quite possibly because the heat lamps are drying it out faster than it can wick it up).
Fourth, not only do you need to watch your water temperatures, but your air temps as well. Those plants have different temperature preferences.
Fifth, seedlings need high humidity. A clear dome will hold the humidity in, as well as still let the light in.
hi thanks for the advice the heat lamp wich was a uvb bulb no heat has since been changed out with a good qaulity grow light. Im really unsure whats going on still but i think i should sprout them by puting them in a dome until the plant have just a little length of root to put in the water and some roots to spare leaving it aerated?
Old 07-09-2017, 03:46 PM

Default ill add

also ill add that i was mistaken the cubes are wet the pebbles dont get wet though. I think it could be a matter of the cubes just being too wet