Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

DWC Setup (India)

Old 11-23-2017, 02:29 PM

Default DWC Setup (India)

Hi

Firstly thanks a lot to members like GPSFRONTIER and others who take their time to help contribute on the forum and elsewhere to help people like us

Am in the works of trying to establish a small scale hydroponic setup in INDIA

Am trying various options but am not seeing sustainable growth and would welcome your expertise.

Am just not sure where am lacking...could be a lot of places but your experienced eyes would be able to detect way better

The growth is really really slow and when I do transfer to DWC a lot of plants just die.

I know the information provided may not be pin point enough but even some general guidelines from experts here could get my ball rolling.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup Description.JPG
Views:	1071
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	3046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overall.JPG
Views:	1099
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	3047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Germination.JPG
Views:	1113
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	3048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Growth Pics.JPG
Views:	1059
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	3049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nutrient.JPG
Views:	1033
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	3050  

Old 11-30-2017, 10:19 PM

Hello abhi,
First I want to say sorry for the late reply. I've been working 50+ hours a week and have only been getting one day off a week. So I just haven't had much spare time. I saw your thread but wanted to wait to answer when I had more tine, but then just forgot.

Anyhow Some of your answers diden't really give me the information I was looking for, and the pictures don't really show me everything either.

1. You told me what nutrients you were using but didn't provide a link to them. I did do a quick search for them but can't be sure if what I found is what you are using. I see a link in the picture, but you cant click on or copy and paste a link in image. Also I need to know the mixing instructions and need to know how your mixing them.

2. You said you used pH solution, but that can be anything. What I'm looking for is if your pH adjusters are designed specifically for hydroponically grown plants and not soil grown plants, pool pH adjusters, or any household products.

3. I also son't see any pictures of the roots and of inside the containers.

4. I also don't know what your water level is in the DWC container from the pictures you provided.

I did a quick search for the type of lettuce your growing because most types of lettuce are cool weather crops. Based on your day and night temps I think your air temperatures are a bit are to high. You may have a different variety but this is what I found on this site: Ilema lettuce .

I think you said you were using coco fiber to germinate the seeds, then trans planted them into the clay pellets. First question I have is why are you doing that in the first place. Second is how are you doing that? Are you transplanting the seedlings and coco into the baskets, then adding the clay balls on top. Or are you taking them out of the coco and transplanting bare roots into the clay balls.

If you try and put bare roots in the clay balls, the roots above the water line will dry out. If to much of the roots are above the water line this way, the seedlings won't be able to take up enough water to support the plant.

Lastly you said you have three 28 watt cfl's. That space your trying to grow in looks to be about 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, and you have a total of 84 watts of florescent lighting. That's not going to be enough light to cover that much space. To get good growth you'll need more like 192-216 watts of light to cover a 4 foot by 2 foot space.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 PM

Hi GPS

Thanks a lot for taking out the time to reply - cannot thank u enough! fully understand the effort it takes to take time out of your busy schedule to respond to something which is mere basic for you. Appreciate it

Answers below in colour

1. You told me what nutrients you were using but didn't provide a link to them. I did do a quick search for them but can't be sure if what I found is what you are using. I see a link in the picture, but you cant click on or copy and paste a link in image. Also I need to know the mixing instructions and need to know how your mixing them. The nutrient is from Radon Grow (am attaching a picture --- it doesn't even have a label ; well it is for a lack of better choice i guess ; wish could buy the North american brands here)...

LEAFY AB2L = 250 Litre full strength solution for Recirculating system and 500 litre full strength solution for non circulating system for 1L each of A & B

Would you recommend as i suggested to make nutrients yourself?

2. You said you used pH solution, but that can be anything. What I'm looking for is if your pH adjusters are designed specifically for hydroponically grown plants and not soil grown plants, pool pH adjusters, or any household products. added pic - again local producyt

3. I also son't see any pictures of the roots and of inside the containers. Added here

4. I also don't know what your water level is in the DWC container from the pictures you provided. added pic

5. am also planning to add probably an AC to control the temp. do not have any other way to control air temps in India

I think you said you were using coco fiber to germinate the seeds, then trans planted them into the clay pellets. First question I have is why are you doing that in the first place. Second is how are you doing that? Are you transplanting the seedlings and coco into the baskets, then adding the clay balls on top. Or are you taking them out of the coco and transplanting bare roots into the clay balls.

am trying both - reason being for lack of better info i guess ; reason being was afraid of support and coco disintegration and its impact on the solution so added some hydroton as base; was trying before with rockwool germination and then suggestions to transplant to hydroton (which now as you suggested is wrong - will not transplant to avoid shock)

Lastly you said you have three 28 watt cfl's. That space your trying to grow in looks to be about 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, and you have a total of 84 watts of florescent lighting. That's not going to be enough light to cover that much space. To get good growth you'll need more like 192-216 watts of light to cover a 4 foot by 2 foot space. The space is more 4 x 1 ft but am adding an additional 28W light to increase the light

I surely wish I could come to your site and learn something from u...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Root Pics.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	3051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nutrient Solution.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	3052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water level.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	3053   Click image for larger version

Name:	phdown.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	3054   Click image for larger version

Name:	pH Down instructions.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	3055  

Last edited by abhi; 12-01-2017 at 08:28 PM.