Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Hydroponic vs. dirt plants

Old 01-27-2019, 09:33 PM

Default Hydroponic vs. dirt plants

When reading about all the benefits there are from eating fresh vegetables., often times it is mentioned all the nutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc. that they provide. Where do all these ingredients come from? Do the plants gather them from the soil and air, and recombine them in such a manor that our bodies can now benefit? Or, do the plants actually manufacture all of those ingredients? Like the minerals, can plants actually manufacture minerals? If plants grow in good old dirt, most everything needed is there. Wondering about hydroponics. Will they only contain what is provided in the water, and be short some other ingredients? Are hydroponic vegetables all as complete as good old dirt grown plants? ? ? Sounds like a silly question, and I don’t know if I am making my self clear or not.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:08 AM

Default NASA does hydroponics on space station

NASA has been doing (and studying results) of hydroponics on the international space station and there has been no mention of vitamin deficiencies or other shortcomings. Most of the nutrient solutions I've seen cover all of the mineral requirements, and they're better balanced and predictable than in dirt. The ability to control PH insures nutrients get "delivered" consistently - something very difficult to do in soil. Check out articles.....
Old 02-23-2019, 01:27 AM

NASA has been working with high pressure aeroponics for years. The plants don’t need as much water with that method as they absorb every bit of nutrients from the mist spray. I was going to try a high pressure system this year with strawberries but not sure if i’ll Finish building the system on time.