Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

outside timer getting wet

Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 AM

Default outside timer getting wet

Hey Ron! In case you haven't noticed, I like to ask lots of questions, but this time, I actually have some advice. A while back, some guy asked about the effect of rain on systems. Living in Alabama, I had trouble with real heavy rains flooding my system and reducing my PPM by a lot. To fix this, I just unscrewed my pump hose connector and screwed in a Y-valve and screwed the connector back in Whenever heavy rain is forecasted and it begins to sprinkle, I just turn off my pump and flip the Y-valve to drain the water. I actually collect the water, however, because it's not as limey as my tap water and, hey, it's free. I do have a rain-related question, however. My system is plugged into an outdoors socket, and I want to shield it somehow so when it rains my porch isn't the ground for an electric discharge. Also, I want to protect my timer. I have been putting a plastic bag over the timer, but moisture somehow still seems to get in. Any ideas?

-Richard

Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 AM

For a few dollars you can buy a safety trip socket that are now required in all bathrooms to replace the old one to save your ass from electrocution.
Just put your timers in some kind of water proof box with a couple screen covered holes in the bottom to let out moister. A bag is ok if you leave the bottom open.