This item has been shown 0 times.
Up for offer we have a .30 ounce gold bar.
- The front says :PARSONS&C. ASSAYERS COL.1860 TWENTY DOLS"
- The back says: "CARAT 18 1/2 DWT 25 6/10"
I found this about twenty years ago while camping in the middle of the Smoking Mountains. I was setting a tent near a waterfall river and as I was staking the tent in the ground hit this. At first I was pretty excited thinking I found real gold. i immediately took it in to jeweler upon returning from the camping trip. The jeweler conducted an acid test and revealed it was not real gold. Since then I have taken this piece to several places and recieved several different pieces of information. Some of the information I recieved may not be fact but is as follows;
- Parsons & Company was a large assayer between the mid 1800's and early 1900's.
- This piece was used as a counter weight or size template to weighing actual gold.
- This piece was used as acountefite "Twenty Dollar" piece in the mid to late 1800's.
I have decided I no longer want to keep this piece and will let you the public determine its value. I have taken fairly good photos of it, but if you desire more please let me know. If anyone reading this has any additional knowledge about this piece please let me know, I have searched high and low trying to find a similiar piece to compare this to to no avail.