This item has been shown 0 times.
Thissale is fora Vintage ALLYN Sales North American P-51 Mustang Ashtray Model. These ashtray models were created for North American initially as an incentive or as a reward given to employees and aircraft parts suppliers. Many woundup in a Pilot's Lounge orsitting somewhere in an FBO (Fixed Base Operator).Most of the components were well designed, such as the base, arm and ball assembly, otheraspects suffered from use. The first to go was the canopy and then the cockpit insert. Finally, all the prop blades usually were all broken off (mostly by irate servers sick of being stabbed in thehand).
Frankly, that's ok because none of them were designed with any scale appeal or durability. My overhaul of this classic airplane ashtray has changed all of those issues. When it arrived in the shop, this model had seen much better days. The prop blades were gone, the canopy and insert gone but the original glass ashtray was intact and the chrome, though pitted slightly took a nice shine!
For those unfamiliar with my projects, I like to reflect full-scale aviation and use the FAA's SupplimentalType Certificate (STC) That allows aging aircraft to be upgraded to provide excellent service in the future.So it has been done to this classic metal airplane model. Please review the following process..
1) The model was disassembled and inspected. Other than 70 years of smoking residue and the usual missing parts, it was in nice shape. It was thoroughlycleaned and buffed.
2) The prop blades have been replaced with a proprietary system that are specially molded resin blades. The not only match the scale outline of the full-scale props but they are actually designed to be replaceable if one ever gets broken. Compare the new prop with an original as seen in picture #6.
3) The canopy and insert never survive. It has been replaced with a canopy made from solid Vintage Mil-SpecPlexi-Glas from the original AAF canopy manufacturer, Rohm & Haas of Philadelphia, Pa. Theyproduced virtually all the canopies used in WWII. This one has been carved, sanded and polished. Then it hasbeen further detailed with aluminum cockpit framing. Its is like having a "jewel in a P-51 setting". It will be difficult to remove and lose this one!
4) The spring and pad that secure the airplane to the ball joint were loose due to many years of use. The spring as been re-setto its originalexpansion.The assembly is much tighter allowing airplaneto stay set in anyposition.
5) The original decals were the wrong scale and faded quickly. All the markings have been replaced with modern decals that are much closer to the correct scale for the model.
6) As stated, the original black glass insertwas intact. It has been cleaned and buffed as well.
All in all, this ranks as one of the most appealing versions of the Mustang ashtray ever offered on . Refer again to picture#6 that stages an original modelandcompare itwith this updated unit. Please contact me with any questions, I am happy to be of good service. Also, justGOOGLE "Sandman Overhaul", it is my websiteand link onto "White Metal Airplanes" for past Allyn Ashtrays sold here on .Please check my response for 100% positive responses as a seller and buyer.
This is an AS-IS sale with no returns for domestic sales only. I strive to bring high quality, unique aviation related items to market and this classic Allyn Airplane Ashtray is no exception. My shipping includes the cost of artifact cavity packing, insurance, delivery confirmation and postal charges. Note that Indiana residents will pay an additional 7%sales tax when the sale concludes.
Thanks for Visiting and Good Luck Collectors- Get the best there is!!