Hydroponics Forums Discussions

Hydroponics Forums Discussions (http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hydroponics (http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hi everybody (http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2429)

Packman 05-30-2012 11:11 AM

Hi everybody

Hi everybody I am Packman from South Africa. :D

Now I am very interested in how to get started with Hydroponics. It looks like a lot of fun but I have no clue as to how to get started. So I Googled and Googled and I am none the wiser for it.

There is a lot of information sadly there is also a lot of gaps in that information. So I am here to start from the bottom and learn as much as I can.

My questions;

Is there a list or scale that I can download of print that will show me the pH VS nutrients? I may be wrong and but I was told that the pH shows you what nutrients needs to be added to your plants.

Sadly our water is horribly polluted with heavy iron and so on so how would purification work?

I know this is not going to be easy we are in the beginning of our winter months and temperatures are in there low 18 degrees Celsius in the day and at night a horrible temperature of 4 degrees Celsius.

The only Good thing going for me is I got space! So here is me hoping that I can learn from you a thing or two.

Thank you for reading :)

Packman 05-30-2012 11:34 AM

I did find your recourses on this forum very informative!!! :D

Stan 05-30-2012 03:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Packman, and welcome to the site!:D

Below are is a table of what the PH and Nutrient levels should be at for each fruit, vegetable and herbs. I believe I copied these pictures from GpsFrontier site. So all thanks should go to him.

Nutrient levels(PPM) are different than PH levels. Usually you put in nutrients to reach the PPM needed then you would adjust PH levels. I'm sure other's on this site will chime in about what you can do about your water. I have good water in my area and don't need any filters.

Theirs many different systems you can build but you have to know which system is best for you. Take a look at the systems other folks on this site have built then decide which of these systems will work for you. What do you want to grow, how large of a grow do you want? Again all questions you need to know before you start.

Sorry I couldn't help out more but I'm sure GpsFrontier will chime in with his wealth of information. Check out the pictures he has posted and you will see lot's of great ideas.:cool:

Packman 05-30-2012 04:37 PM

I am planning to grow a few veggies. Spinach and garlic are high on my list but I would also like to grow some Cabbages and tomatoes. Water contamination is a real problem at the moment our water is in a word sickly. I have a standard filter system that removes well darn near everything and that is also the problem there is no "food" for the plants then.

I am planning to use plastic piping and soft drink bottles "stuff that can be easily replaced" or that is the idea anyway.

Thank you for the lists they are exactly what I was looking for. :)

fintuckyfarms 06-11-2012 06:07 AM

In the cold season, salad type vegies grow the best like spinach. There are several systems you can buy/build that will work. GPSfrontier has an area on this site (lesson plans) that is like a school for hydroponics that covers the basics and goes thru each system so you can get a better idea of what kind (s) will work best for you from what you can find in you part of the world. If you also go to GPSfrontiers threat on his greenhouse you will find a filter system he has made from parts from his local home and garden store. It should work for iron very well. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

GpsFrontier 06-23-2012 07:14 AM

fintuckyfarms,
I don't have a "lesson plans" section on my website, that's another section of this website your thinking of (Hydroponics Online). My website is Home Hydro systems. I have a free build your own system design plans section. However I haven't had time to update it yet with all the work I'm doing on the greenhouse.