Hydroponics Forums Discussions

Hydroponics Forums Discussions (http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hydroponics (http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   plants we grew are rotting (http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450)

Kasey 02-03-2009 05:53 AM

plants we grew are rotting
 
I could use some help growing plants for a project in school. The plants we grew are rotting. What are we doing wrong?

Ron 02-03-2009 05:54 AM

Over watering.

Joe Karas 05-29-2009 07:21 PM

Rotting Plant/Roots
 
Hi: I am newbie to Hydroponics. I have drip system in rubbermaid container. I have net pots with hydroton which surrounds the plant which is in rock wool. My plants have all rotted and died. My question is, how many hours a day should I be watering them, and should I add air stone and pump to help things along. Thanks in advance. Joe

GpsFrontier 05-29-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Karas (Post 2881)
Hi: I am newbie to Hydroponics. I have drip system in rubbermaid container. I have net pots with hydroton which surrounds the plant which is in rock wool. My plants have all rotted and died. My question is, how many hours a day should I be watering them, and should I add air stone and pump to help things along. Thanks in advance. Joe

I am not an expert, but that is defiantly not enough information to go on.

1. Are you growing in a inside or outside?
2. If outside, what is the weather like?
3. If inside, is it humid and/or hot in the room?
4. Are they well ventilated?
5. What type of plants are you trying to grow?
6. What part of the plant started to dieing first, roots or leaves?
7. What was the first signs that something was going wrong?
8. How often do you change the nutrients?
9. Do you check the pH level daily?
10. What is the temperature of the nutrient solution, is it getting too warm? Should be between 65 and 72 degrees ideally.
11. Do the roots get dry between watering?

I would guess that it is not just one problem but a combination of things. Generally speaking you would want the roots to stay moist all the time, but not submerged all the time so they drown, because they need air to survive also. As I understand it, plants don't feed at night so it is less important to keep them moist at night. I don't think that a air pump/stone is absolute critical, but it does help oxygenate the nutrient solution and that will help the plant to grow healthier. I would suggest that if you can afford it to get the best one you can find that pumps the most air you can get out of it. Check in pet supplies by the fish tanks at Wal-Mart for inexpensive ones. I would leave it on 24/7 to get the most benefit out of it. Because the bubbles keep the water moving it will cut down on algae also.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.