Thread: pH Questions
View Single Post
  #4  
Old 05-07-2010, 08:43 PM
GpsFrontier GpsFrontier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Havasu AZ.
Posts: 1,855
Default

Quote:
I am using one of the MILWAKEE brand pH meters it is calibrated to 7.00 as that is all i had access to at the time.
I have never used a pH meter/pen but I believe that Milwakee makes them hydroponics and should be fine as long as it is calibrated (I have never needed to calibrate one).
Quote:
you mean the Brita or pur type filters?
I would suggest getting the best filter you can with your available funds. But yes, the Britta has a charcoal/carbon filter I believe, though it may take a while to filter the water you need from it because it's gravity fed. Even the filters that attach to the end of the facet would be better than straight tap, and you should be able to find them for about $20 and up. Just make sure it has a changeable filter, and they sell the replacement filters. If funds allow you can probably find a under the sink mount systems for $80 or so. These charcoal/carbon filtration systems will be able to remove most of the contaminates like calcium, lime and other minerals that can affect pH, as well as affecting the nutrient composition. Even herbicides that can be damaging to plants. As long as the filter is changed often enough.
Quote:
Ive read that the "hydro specific" pH down seems to do soo much better and i was trying to confirm if this is correct or over stating the truth. Guess i will go to the semi local hydro store and buy some pH down, the problem is which one do i choose from i hear the AN ones are good but they dont carry they only carry the GH liquid and dry, Pro™ pH Down from hydro farm, and the TechnaFlora Down.
I'm all for using alternate materials for hydroponics, but when it comes to nutrients and pH adjusters, I'll only use products designed for hydroponics. Unless I have an extra system to use and I don't really care about the plants, then I may experiment with other products. I have never used any other pH adjusters than what I mentioned so I can't compare them, but If I had to choose I would probably go with General Hydroponics products, simply because I can be sure and trust products made by them. I chose the dry crystals that I'm using because of cost. I think the dry product will last me longer than the liquid would (but I have never tried the liquids), I also had shipping costs to consider.
__________________
Website Owner
Home Hydroponic Systems
Reply With Quote