View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
My idea is to build a large base that multiple pots can sit in.
OK, I am not sure how your system is planed to be setup particularly why you would need pots in the growing containers as you described for root Vegetables. The growing containers should be the pots? If you have one growing medium sitting in a pot then setting that pot in another growing medium the roots don't stop at the border they will continue into the other medium. Then when you try to pull it up you will be ripping it all out anyway. If you are looking for something that you can pull up and replace in a single system you might want to keep in mind the roots. They grab onto everything.

As far as lining up the drip system with the plants I am not sure I see a problem there. I don't know what materials you are using to do that. I just set up a drip system and I just used the same 1/2 inch tubing from the pump and poked holes into it where I wanted them. I was concerned that it wouldn't cover the whole area with a few holes but after running it for a 1/2 hr the growing medium (coco chips) was completely saturated.

I have pics of the building of this system but haven't downloaded them to the computer yet (plan to tomorrow). Then I will post a thread of it in the "
Your Hydroponics Setup" section of this forum.
Quote:
With regards to the plants sitting in the fluid too long I have built a water sensor that connects to an IC and it turns the pump off as soon as the water gets to the target level. So there wont be a long period the roots are submerged for - just the time it takes to fill.
I don't see a problem with that.

If you are interested, I think I can come up with a plan for a replaceable root Vegetable system for your for ebb & flow (flood and drain system). A lot will depend on what materials you have at at your disposal, to determine how I would do it. It would basically consist of a base nutrient delivery system with detachable modules. Also, what you were growing as well as how much.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 10-12-2009 at 07:41 AM.