View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
4. Curling of the leaves – seems like a minor nutrient deficiency like Calcium deficiency.
Ya, that was one of my thoughts, that's why I was asking about what nutrients were used as well as if any additives were used. I also had a thought that it could be the "Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus" but didn't want scare anyone because it has been known to wipe out whole crops. I think mostly in California, but don't know if it's regional or not. That's why I was hoping for pictures, and was asking if he had any soil grown plants with the same curling of the leaves. I also know that a cold nutrient solution is known to cause curling of the leaves, but usually stunted growth also.

But If I had to guess without any information I would probably say try adding Calcium, because this is what General Hydroponics had e-mailed me back about tomato's needing extra extra calcium, and how to identify a Calcium deficiency:

"Calcium effects the plant's ability to uptake all sorts of nutrients. This is why it is recommended to supplement with Calcium when growing plants that consume a lot of it (such as tomatoes). You most likely won't be able to pinpoint a Calcium deficiency on the plant, because it can appear as a plethora of other deficiencies. Nutrition in Hydroponics is a building block philosophy. Once you have low concentrations of one element, the rest react differently to other elements, and this can start a chain of lockout. Very few growers will know that this all started with Calcium. In your particular case, I would recommend using a CaMg product from the beginning of their lives to the end. That way you won't have to play the guessing game of nutrition manipulation and you will be providing them with the CaMg that they require."

Not sure the lighting would be a problem though. I believe eduardomachado is growing outside under a car port or something, so he is just referring to direct sunlight, and the plants actually get lots of indirect sunlight. Though the variety could play a part in that I'm sure.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 03-01-2010 at 08:17 PM.