View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Though I have been wondering, didn't you have more than 16 plants? Unfortunately my tomato plants are not doing so well, they seem to have a virus.
Indeed I do. As far as the types of plants I have at the moment there are only 9 hot pepper varieties and then the tomato plants. I had multiple plants of most varieties growing. The two exceptions are my peter peppers and my pumpkin habanero. I only ended up with one of each of those. I started several of each variety knowing some seeds wouldn't germinate, that I might kill some, etc (also had a mishap where one of our cats decided to make a midnight snack of about a quarter of my seedlings). I never intended to keep more than one or two of each type though.

The two new 8 sight systems currently have 2 tomato, 2 hot charlestons, 2 rooster spurs, 2 banana pepper, 2 bhut jolokia, 2 bolivian rainbow, the 1 peter pepper, 1 golden habanero and 2 thai suns.

The original purple cloner system I posted about still has 3 rooster spurs, 3 bolivian rainbow, 2 thai sun, 2 banana pepper, 2 golden hab, 1 bhut jolokia and my lone pumpkin habanero. Funny story about him actually. Of all the pumpkin hab seeds I planted I only got a single sprout...and for the longest time the poor little guy just sat there as nothing more than a small stem sticking up out of the ground with the seed shell still on it. While all the rest of the pepper plants were exploding around him, poor little guy just sat there in the shell. I tried to help him along and pull it off, but boy was it on there tight....didn't feel like I could do anything without ripping him in half. Long story short, I eventually managed to help get it off and he is now starting to grow...but he's waaaaaay behind the rest of the peppers as a result. He wasn't big enough to move into the net pots yet.

I also have a small little 6 gallon 4 site DWC that I've not really mentioned. This system had a few pepper plants that my buddy ordered online and gave me. They were rather sickly and bug infested. I trimmed them up, got rid of the bugs and setup this DWC to drop them in and see what the managed to do. They are recovering fairly nicely. I put one of the other tomato plants in this system. The rest of the tomato seedlings were thrown away. They were all too big for the cloner, didn't have room in any other system...so they unfortunately got trashed.

I'm debating what to do with the rest of the plants in the cloner. Can't decide if I want to throw them away or try to build another system to put them in. We're quickly running out of space in the room we're doing this in (at least until we get rid of the furniture that is in there)...and well, funds aren't unlimited .

For the long term I'd like to continue to grow the hot peppers, but I don't know how many of my current plants I'm going to keep. I didn't pick the seeds...my buddy ordered them all and I just took half of what he ordered. I've never tasted several of these and don't even know if I'll like them. Plus, there are several other types I like that I'm not currently growing (scotch bonnet for example...I love those and definately want to try and grow them). I'm just sort of in a "testing phase" right now...trying to learn a thing here and there, finding out what works and what doesn't, etc.

Last edited by txice; 12-05-2009 at 11:52 AM.