View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txice View Post
I've seen the plans for that type of system several places and I've seen a lot of articles and posts about people using it as well. I like the system idea in general, the only thing that worries me about it would be root management. Unless you had plans to regularly trim the roots I could imagine the roots grown down into the "neck" at the bottom of the bottles and potentially clogging them as well wouldn't you think?
Yes the roots will do that with a plant that size, although with my design this can be taken care of 2 different ways. The first one is, my new design for the bottles that makes them much more sturdy and reusable. This also makes it easier to insert a removable container/basket into them. The other one is, they are simply not glued to the tubing part of the system, this allows you to just lift the bottle off and trim any roots (while the system is not flooded of coarse).

You wont be able to remove the peppers from the 3 inch baskets to place them into anything else or you will tear the roots off (something I was worried about in the beginning). But you could make a cap for my new bottle design, then place the 3 inch baskets into it. Also lifting the caps instead of the baskets will cut down root damage from the edge of the holes, due to sliding the baskets in and out.